drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I was talking to 1 of the reefers on this site and got a rough idea on dosing things and its a importance. However, if I will relly on just water changes will my tank
be as healthy as with dosing general TL weekly?

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
also

I also do my water chages "religiously" weekly of 3-5% and the salt that I use is "SEACHEM REEF SALT".

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
as long as u do weekly and bi weekly water changes with a good salt you should be fine... master russ does not dose anything and he has a beautiful tank just with waterchanges he does em religisouly...

Awwww schucks T :hug: That's so noice of you.

On that note, the required trace elements in each brand of salt varies. This is not limited to, Ca, Alk, Mg, Strontium, Iodine, Boron, etc. Right out of the bucket, some salts will require you to dose Ca. Other salts won't. The same goes for each of the other required trace elements.

I can't make a blanket statement about all salt brands. I use Oceanic. It provides me with more than adequate Ca and Mg levels. Alk on the other hand is traditionally low with Oceanic. If I were to dose anything (I don't :lol: ) I would only dose sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), baked in the oven to yield sodium carbonate.

Other trace elements should be tested before adding it to your system. Some trace elements can wipe out your system if they are overdosed.

A cardinal rule in reefkeeping is, if you can't, or don't, test for it, don't put it in your tank.

Sorry for all the ambiguity here, but there really is no hard and fast rule to dosing.

swimmer

S

steveo32

Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Yeah but masters lying he really doses secretly and cooks his books :lol: :kidding: :biglaugh: (master i will find out ) But as he said he uses oceanic and I'm switching to that very shortly (2weeks) and you should look into what your salt has and at what concentration I use to dose almost everything in kent's line but that gets too costly after a while. A wise man once said do what works for you

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Until recently....I never dosed anything & my set-up has been up over a year. I'm an IO salt user.
I mostly have softies & LPS, with very few SPS. Everything is doing great.
I do water changes every 2 weeks.

I just started dosing Kalk.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: