scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
is there anything wrong w/ using plexiglass for baffles. i don't even glue them. i make sure to cut them just exact so they fit really snug. could that cause stress on the tank?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I seem to recall reading somplace that the plexiglass will expand once it is in the sump. If you don't leave a little room for it to expand, it could put a lot of pressure on the glass. why not just pick up some glass at Home Depot or Lowes. It is very easy to cut, and many places will cut it for you.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
is there anything wrong w/ using plexiglass for baffles. i don't even glue them. i make sure to cut them just exact so they fit really snug. could that cause stress on the tank?

I've used it before but I used silicone to hold it in place. No issues with stress.

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I dont see how you can cut them to a water tight fit.
You can use acrylic (you said plexiglas there is a difference) they should be sealed. A sump doesn't have enough pressure to knock over baffles.
during evaporation you can loose water back to the skimmer chamber, if the baffles aren't water tight.
Acrylic tanks will bow/expand more then glass tanks.
I never seen a tank made out of plexiglas.

Last edited:

underworld@hvrk

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
at one point I made my own sump and used acrylite(name on backing) for baffles it was 1/2" thick and when I siliconed them in I left a little space to the edge and used a load of the silicone and it worked fine but when using alot of silicone you break up a smooth water flow pattern and sometimes create micro bubbles,especially on the baffle edges & the silicone if not smooth will collect detrius and algae thats a pain in the ass to clean. Also being on the broke side of things @ one point in time I have used 2 rubbermaid containers the first container was for the water in/skimmer compartment
and this container was put higher up than the next, the second container would then be fed by a 1" bulkhead drilled in the first container, the water coming in went directly into a large mayo jar(yeah it was ghetto but it worked well) the jar was filled with rubble and chaeto, and overflowed onto live rock, to break up any remaining bubbles and a return pump went to the very end of container 2. I am now running an ets sump but if I had to instead of using the plexi baffles I would def use the ghetto set-up first!

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For the $6.00 per baffle I think you may be better off getting glass cut.

I used acrylic in a 20 gal tank, I used silcone to hold it in, after about 3 months the silicone let go of the acrylic side. I was forewarned by members here... but didn't listen, lesson learned.

If you don't have a glass place near you. I have one about two minutes from home. I could go have them cut pieces for you if interested and bring them into the city on my way to work.

Let me know if interested.

Rich

ps. I also sanded the glass on the 20 tank, and used a small amount of epoxy first. Once that dried I added silicone.

Last edited:

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
meschaefer said:
Plexiglass is just a brand name for acrylic.
Matt, i agree. Its almost like "Band-aid or Q-tips" Plexiglas is a TM for thermoplastic (poly something?) AKA acrylic.
What i was trying to say there is a difference in acrylics. I made a lid for my tank out of acrylic, acrylite and another top brand both cracked on the router table. Then i used plexiglas 4 years later it hasn't warped or discolored from my MH lighting. 5 years ago i had one made at a LFS it was a POS warped and turned yellow in a year from PCs also it cracked the first time it fell on the floor.
We only use Plexi if the client asks for it $$.
My lid has 3/16" lines with 3/8" spaces, it fell many times, and i can play it like a guitar. I doubt this can be done with the acrylic HD sells.

Pics of the plexi lid. I glad this worked my next move would have been polycarbonate (Lexan)
DSCN5220.jpg

DSCN5221.jpg

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Alright here's the question. Could someone make a plexi/Acrylic insert containing 3 baffles in 1 piece. I don't know how to make a design on the computer but it would be a 1 piece insert. This could be the solution to alot of peoples questions on this topic.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: