dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone! Im new to MR and have found this website indispensable! Im already telling people at my LFS to check this website out! Anyway...a quick question about overall circulation for my aquarium (Im a cardiologist in trainingm afterall) haha. I'm just in the process of setting up a new 135 gallon tank with a 48gallon sump. The tank has two overflows (1.5inch drains and 1inch returns). Im using a turbo-sea 1270 pump to return the water to the main tank. I have 1inch pvc running out of the pump, then splits in two (using a T) to go to the two returns in the tank. Once in the tank it downgrades to 3.4" loc-line fittings ( I have about 6 of them in series) which enables me to direct the water into the tank.

Well here's the deal...I just filled up the tank and turned on the pump. Luckily, there were no leaks and all the plumbing works perfectly. But the flow out of the two returns seems very strong, and is shaking up all of the sand on the bottom. Is it best to add a loc-line y fitting so that i can direct the return in two different directions? And if i do this...do u think that'll give enough circulation in the tank, and thereby not needing any powerheads in the tank?? I plan to set up a all the liverock later this week (thanks wingoagency)...and in the end do mainly coral with some fish.

Thanks so much everyone! And I hope this will be the first of many conversations on here...

Doug

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey welcome to MR.

As for your circulation question, that would depend on what you planning to keep in the future, like what kind of corals.
And you said "I plan to set up a all the liverock later this week "....does that mean you have no rocks in there yet?? Because once you add the rocks it might deflect some of the flow regardless.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i have 1500gph pump split 2 return for 92 gal. I find my return is only about 800 after all the restriction variables. I've heard u should have about 10x tanks' volume per hr for return.

Last edited:

dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah I haven't added any live rock yet....I think i will order some of the loc-line Y pieces and install them just so i can split the flow and direct it in multiple directions. If i find the flow isn't that great in certain areas I'll add a powerhead or two.

dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks guys!

Well overnight my water has become extremely cloudy! Im assuming its all because of the dust from the sand (which I guess I didn't rinse well enough). I'm hoping this all settles in the next couple days and leaves me with a nice clear tank. Ill keep u updated and I'll start taking some pics when it all looks more presentable!

Doug

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Doug, as mentioned above, just add some live rock and give the tank a couple of days to clear. the rock will deflect the flow (which you can adjust to avoid downcurrents that are blowing up your sand) plus the bacteria that will grow on your sand particles will help weigh it down.

and of course, WELCOME TO MR!

dzuckerm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the advice. Well I added the live rock today (150lbs in my 135g tank). And I also threw a filter pad (10 micron) into my sump to catch the sand that was causing the cloudieness. Well it worked out perfectly! 30min after adding the live rock my tank is crystal clear again!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
dzuckerm said:
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the advice. Well I added the live rock today (150lbs in my 135g tank). And I also threw a filter pad (10 micron) into my sump to catch the sand that was causing the cloudieness. Well it worked out perfectly! 30min after adding the live rock my tank is crystal clear again!

Good to see that it works for you as I have expected.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: