oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
ok heres the deal...i got a 29g tank and i'm new at this hobby....wat watt and K should the light bulb be at... should i get a lamp with 2 switches for the black light and the regular light or should i get a lamp with 1 switch...i'm planning to have reefs in the tank and invertabrates...so how can i figure out what kind of lighting i should get...and....how much will it cost me...

Bcause my mom just bought me a light...it is

Brand: Coralife
it is a double linear strip 10,000k daylight and true actinic 03 blue t5 fluorescent lamps.
18watt 10,000k
18watt true actinic 03 blue t5 fluorescent lamp
1 switch to turn on both lamps

Last edited:

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
First what kind of coral do you want to have?

That lighting is very very very low for the tank. The combination of those two bulbs is good though. 10K is good for growth. The higher the K the bluer the light. Depending on what you want to keep, look in the T5's or Power compact lighting. For a tank that size 110watt's of Power compact lighting should be enough for soft corals.

oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
well what is power compact lighting and....the 110 watts you have mention are those the same watts as the 18watts that i have? and please tell me what is appopriate for my tank the wattage of both the blue light and the white light

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
This is power compact lighting http://www.hellolights.com/302xcoaqpcho.html

I'm not saying to buy that fixture cause I'm sure you could find a cheaper one in the For Sale forum here. Just a link to what it is. Search around that site and you'll find most of the types of lights that available.

You have the option of VHO's(Very High Output), HO T5 bulbs(Someone else could help you with this), Metal Halides, and Power Compacts.

Well are the 18 watt bulbs you have Power compacts or regular Flourescent bulbs? With two 65watt bulbs one would be 10K and one could be Actinic.

oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
well i did see the website but...i dont even know what they are...i'm just lookin for the complete hood and a lamp with 2 switches...a good one for 29g tank...can you give me some advices?

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
are you planning on keeping corals, fish, etc? If corals LPS, SPS, or just softies like mushrooms and leathers?

You really need to pick up a book, or at least do some research for a while before jumping into things. I spent almost a year doing research on reef tanks before jumping in...not saying you need to do that, but you should at least know the basics! :) Good luck - look on wetwebmedia.com or some other online references and go on amazon.com and pick up a couple of books..its easier for others to help if you at least have some sort of knowledge base to stand on.

Last edited:
K

kevro

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think your options are pretty much limited to Metal Halides and Power Compacts because of the 30 inch length of the 29g. The problem with PC's is that some people do not like the actinic bulbs, but some people do like them, it is your opinion.

If you deside on MH's, there is a nice Icecap Fixture called the "Spotlight Pendant" on Marinedepot.com. The problem with MH's is the UV light they can put out if you do not have a Glass UV lens. This fixture has one by the way. Another problem is the heat that the lamps produce. For the heat issue, you could either use a chiller (a very expensive option), or you could have a few fans circulating air throughout the hood, if you are using an inclosed hood.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: