firehazard

firehazard
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
basically im looking for a cheap way to install metal halides for my 55g. im in the process of making a canopy for it. so im looking for something to hang over the tank, from the top of the canopy. i was wondering what kind of fixture can i use. like can i use something as a simple clamp lamp? or can i make something? also i always had the question of can a metal halide bulb fir into a regular socket? but primarily looking to make or buy something for cheap to incorporate metal halides for my tank. thank you for any help...

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
MH bulbs do not fit into a regular socket and they require a ballast to run. If you want to keep it cheap, I'd suggest the for sale/for trade forum. On a 55 I would keep the lights pretty high above the surface, or you are going to face serious heat issues. I always suggest that people who invest in MH should be seriously considering a chiller as well. I'd bet that excessive heat is probably the biggest reef killer around. Restocking after every summer will cost much more than a chiller in the long run. BTW, I've had a 55 SPS reef with nothing but VHO's.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: