jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Bob Fenner, in his Reef Inv. book, recommends against Florida cultured rock. He says its too dense and often not well colonized, esp. in terms of bacteria. He highly recommends Fiji, Tonga or Marshall Islands. I was wondering what other people's exp. with Florida rock was because I also like the idea of supporting aquaculture.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am going to make the LFS crazy, but I feel so much better with all of this advise!

As far as the lights go, each T5 unit has 4 36" 39W bulbs. That's a total of 8. Should I still look into the Quality fixture? 48" is too long to fit in the canopy which is a must to keep the cats out.

Thanks for the info on the glass cover. I am happy that I went with the custom canopy.

The tank height is definitely an issue! I already tried it out at the fish store and had to stand on a bucket just to get the top open. My boyfriend was a big part of the tank decision so he promised to help with maintenance, equipment issues, and reaching the bottom of the tank:)

Definitely noted on the sand issue. That's another part of my order to change. I am so happy that I asked everyone in advance!!! Should I try to buy small or large grain sand? At what stage do I add sand from another tank?

The water purifier is a pure-flo II by Coralife. My boyfriend hooked it up to the shower. Not very pretty, but it works, and we don't have to worry about water overflowing. How much water should I purify? The tank is 120 gallons, and the sump is 30.

RE the live rock. How does everyone feel about the Kaleeni (sp?) at Fishtown in queens?

Thanks again to everyone!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Leslie, you're going in the right direction. You'll be very happy when you're all done. 'Grats......we expect lots of pix of your progress.

LeslieS said:
As far as the lights go, each T5 unit has 4 36" 39W bulbs. That's a total of 8. Should I still look into the Quality fixture? 48" is too long to fit in the canopy which is a must to keep the cats out.

I'm very confused how you're going to install two 4 x 36w fixtures. You say that you can't put a 48" fixture over the tank, but 72" will work. I'm guessing you plan to stagger the two fixtures. If that's the case, the width from front to back with the fixtures staggered will be too wide for an 18" tank.

I don't know how handy you and your b/f are, but it sounds like you'd be much better served by getting an empty hood and installing a DIY retrofit T5. You can get everything to fit just right in a 48" hood. No staggering and overlapping etc.

LeslieS said:
Should I try to buy small or large grain sand? At what stage do I add sand from another tank?

Small grain sand, like sugar is ideal. It has more surface area for denitrification (a highly debateable topic btw), and it's safe for sand sifting stars, gobies, wrasse.
You can add the sand right from the time you cycle your tank. The LR will actually help to seed your LS in addition to adding LS from another tank or two.

LeslieS said:
How much water should I purify? The tank is 120 gallons, and the sump is 30.

I would process enough water to fill your tank and sump, and enough to do a few (10%-25%)water changes. If you can get a 50 gallon Rubbermaid Brute garbage can (NO METAL COMPONENTS) to store your water in, it'll make your water storeage much easier.

At the beginning you'll want to siphon out a lot of die off and crap that settles on the bottom. As you do this, you'll need to replace that water with new saltwater. A second Brute container for you to pre-mix and store your saltwater in will prove to be invaluable.

Important note: All systems will evaporate a different amount of water depending upon geographic location, weather conditions and other various factors. You must remember, replacing water that has evaporated MUST be done with freshwater NOT saltwater (this is called topoff).
When you do a water change, or remove any quantity of water, that MUST be replaced with new saltwater.
Therefore, having two containers for water storeage is very helpful. This way you're not scrambling to process new RO/DI water (takes a lot of time) and then mixing salt in and allowing it to sit the suggested 24-36 hrs before use.

LeslieS said:
RE the live rock. How does everyone feel about the Kaleeni (sp?)

Kaelini is a great LR. You will do MUCH MUCH better going online to purchase LR. I don't know Fishtowns prices, but I'm going out on a limb here and saying MINIMUM of $8/lb, some as high as $14/lb. If you checkout reefermadness.us you'll find great LR and great prices. Even with shipping you can get Kaelini for under $5/lb. You can even get Fiji for under $4/lb.

Good luck. Keep the Q's coming.

Russ

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks Russ,

48" light fixtures are too long for my tank. The two 36's will go side by side. They just fit. In the beginning, I anticipate a lot of moving them out of my way.

Small grain sand it is!

Thanks for the tip on the amount of water to purify. I totally forgot about fresh water for top offs. I am currently using 20 gallon clear plastic storage containers with wheels. 50 gallons of water is a bit much for me to move around! I do have a 30 gallon plastic trash bin that I am looking for a wheely base for.

The Kaelini at FT is 4.99/lb.

Thanks again. Can't wait to talk to the LFS again today :)

Leslie

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Leslie,
As someone who gives advice to ALOT of beginning hobbyists, I just want to commend you on taking the time to think this through carefully, seeking out additional opinions, making adjustments to your plan and NOT bailing on your LFS at the same time... The fact that they are willing to work with you is a good sign. You are doing what far too many don't and your chances for success are that much greater because of it. I don't have much to add to what has been said here as you have received lots of good advice... as is the norm 'round here. When the time comes, there will plenty of frags coming your way:)

Randy

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
hello and welcome to MR!! What have you already bought (including items you can and can't return)?? Did you already buy the tank?? If not i would look into a tank with better dimensions.

I would personally go with live rock from Drsfostersmith.com (select Fiji premium), nice rock in my experience and pretty cheap. they even sell foundation rock, better known as base rock (looks like the stuff in Fish town). I would also look into a different light setup, if you haven't purchased anything or can still return your fixtures. Why don't you want metal halide??It's the most tried and proven type of lighting for a reef and you already have the chiller to handle the extra heat. You will not regret it if you go with MH. Get a refractometer to measure your salinity, not a hydrometer. The portable ones go for $42 on Drsfostersmith.com . Jonathan mentioned that you'll have to start dosing certain chemicals once you get your tank up and running. You can buy these at the store or use some easy to get items (without the fancy packaging) and still add the same things to your tank for a fraction of the cost e.g. baking soda, pickling lime, dowflake. I would definitely read up on that last piece of advice before acting on it and talk to someone already using this system. I would suggest asm skimmers, the largest one you can fit under your tank. This is where i got mine http://www.aquamartonline.com/page/page/2438561.htm
One very important question we've all overlooked, you may not want to answer but an answer could give us an idea about advice you're already receiving. Which LFS are you going to?? The members here get around and can give you their opinions on the LFS, specially if you plan on stocking your tank with them also.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. I wish I'd done what you're doing (asking questions here before buying) would've saved me many many headaches. With that said, I would suggest to continue to ask for advice here on stuff you're thinking about buying (try to control the impulse). Good Luck with your setup.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Huge amounts of thanks to all of you! I am beginning to feel much more confident about the success of my tank. Thanks for the good comments about my LFS! They have been really spectacular about answering my questions and calling me back. They thouroughly inspected the first tank I ordered which is why I had to wait for a second. I haven't minded waiting at all because I know they are taking good care of me, and it has given me the opportunity to make these changes. They are even setting up my tank for free to make sure it is done properly. It will probably be a few more weeks before the tank is delivered, but I will continue to read discussion threads and ask questions.

I will post pictures as soon as I have something more interesting than tubs of water sitting around!

Thanks, Thanks, and more Thanks. I cannot wait to get started.

Leslie

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
LeslieS said:
Huge
I cannot wait to get started.

Leslie, I totaly understand wanting to get your tank setup, but I think we still have a few things to sort out for you before that happens. I sent you a pm by the way, check you private message box.

I forgot to mention about the seahorse you want, they are great creatures, but require such specific conditions that most people dedicate a tank just to them. While you are still planning you might want to do some research into them. with your high tank a seahorse, and pipe fish biotope would be great.

there is some great seahorse info at this site, http://www.seahorse.com/

keep asking questions here, you are getting great advice :grouphug:

fishguttz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your tank. You asked for advice so here it is.

If you're interested-- I have had 3 SW tanks for a total of 10 years. 1 30 gallon fish only 3-4 years, 1 70 with live rock and anemones and polyps and mushrooms damsel, flame angel, etc. 2 years. 1 10 gallon with ocellaris live rock, mushrooms, various clean up crew for 4 years.

I am glad you are starting with a large tank because it takes longer to foul things up.

A seahorse is a bad choice for a first tank.

I'm sure you would be very unhappy to see a dead seahorse floating in your new tank.I suggest buying only tank raised fish to start, I don't believe a tank is ready for more delicate fish until at least a year of a tanks life with consistent maintenance. You can always return starter fish to the store or trade them to others.

You may not want to hear this but I don't believe you should invest in corals or anemones or other invertebrates for at least 1-2 years. You most likely will kill them, due to inexperience and a young system.

I think you should start with live rock as a biologic filter and fish. Maybe mushrooms and polyps, but only after 3-4 months of cycling.

It is hard enough and expensive to maintain such a large tank in the first place. You migt not be ready for the extra maintenance that invertebrates require (i.e. specialty foods, hand feeding, dosing, lighting, compatability, etc.)

In my opinion you should start with a plain 30 gallon with flourescent lighting on a timer. Eheim Filter + live rock filtration and a variety of damsels, gobies, clownfish, shrimp, etc.

This way you will see what you are really ready for with a minimum of cost.

Sorry if I'm being a bummer. I'm sure you will be eventually successful, I just think it's too much too soon. This is only my opinion related to my own extensive experiences.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I should have been more clear about the sea horse...that is a goal - not an activity for my must do now list :) I realize that I need to go very slowly...so slowly that I still do not even have my tank ;-)

R.E. the tunzez...LFS guy says that they are too powerful for the shape of my tank, a room divider 4' long and 18" wide with one end rounded. The power jets are 270gph each, and he says this will give me more flexibility for dealing with dead spots. That made sense to me, but what do you guys think???

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I think Leslie has been asking all the right questions before diving in head first. Her chances of success are much better than average based on that alone. I have had my reef set up for just over two years now and IMO, and just about everyone who's seen it, think it's doing splendid! I have a totally mixed reef, from softies and zoos to LPS and SPS. I started adding SPS after about 6 months, LPS after 4 months and softies (zoos, colony polys, leathers) after about 2 months.

fishguttz, I don't see why you'd even attempt to disuade someone who we FINALLY see going down the proper path.

fishguttz said:
You may not want to hear this but I don't believe you should invest in corals or anemones or other invertebrates for at least 1-2 years. You most likely will kill them, due to inexperience and a young system.

I totally disagree with this statement. How can you make a blanket statement such as this?

I was a total reef noob when I started also. I didn't kill anything due to inexperience and a young system. Why would you suggest Leslie would?

Leslie, you've gotten a boat load of great advice from a lot of experienced aquarists. Do your research and make wise, educated decisions (as it appears you have been doing) and you'll be just as, if not more successful than the majority of the reefers out there.

Good luck and plod on,
Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
LeslieS said:
R.E. the tunzez...LFS guy says that they are too powerful for the shape of my tank, a room divider 4' long and 18" wide with one end rounded. The power jets are 270gph each, and he says this will give me more flexibility for dealing with dead spots. That made sense to me, but what do you guys think???

Maxijet 1200's are 298 gph. Believe it or not, that isn't much flow at all.
The Tunze's are a super addition for a tank your size, depending on the livestock you'd like to keep. There are a few choices with Tunze's. If you get one that is controllable, you can adjust the flow from 30% - 100%. So as far as flexibility, the Tunze's are far superior to MJ......IMO of course.

swimmer

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
jejton said:
Bob Fenner, in his Reef Inv. book, recommends against Florida cultured rock. He says its too dense and often not well colonized, esp. in terms of bacteria. He highly recommends Fiji, Tonga or Marshall Islands. I was wondering what other people's exp. with Florida rock was because I also like the idea of supporting aquaculture.

First off I also have to disagree w/ Fishgutz - I started after about a year of research w/ a 16g nano (I don't think my original clownfish tank had anything to do w/ me being able to keep my reef alive). Its been up and running for almost a year now has been doing great!

As to the aquacultured rock...

I personally love it, it is more dense than Fiji (though maybe not tonga) but it still has lots of caves, etc. I would go w/ gulfview or Tampabay Saltwater (which I used). Tampa bay is great- they ship in water (you pick up at the airport). I had little if no dieoff, an almost imperceptable cycle, and a TON of life present- lots of little corals, macro algae, etc.

If you go Tampabay you will have to like a 'natural' looking tank, as you will not have the 'pretty' look of fully cured rock- but you will get a ton of sponges and other cool things.

If you are planning on adding your aqua cultured rock later on though, I would be carefull w/ adding Tampabay rock- as it is uncured and you have a high probability of getting a mantis or something equally bad with it. If your tank is already established it might not make you happy! I would start w/ it if you are planning on going that way.

One more thing- the rock in the gulf has been having problems lately due to a huge algae bloom caused by the dumping of fertilizers, etc. in the ocean. The algae was smothering everything and killing off all life on the rock. You might want to check on conditions before you order. Also, if you order before or after hurricane season you will have better rock- I ordered mine in the peak of hurricane season and even though I was more than happy w/ the rock it had nowhere near the life of people from previous years!

Long post I know, but just things to think about if you go that route. Good luck!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
LeslieS said:

um, I think the lfs guy wants to sell you his equipment :rolleyes:

there are a bunch of different tunze models to chose from, they can be dialed down and controlled in a million different ways. Until the vortech pumps came out tunze had no competition. due to a few glitches with the vortech, they still don't ;) sorry ecotech :( I'm waiting...

if you get regular powerheads you will hate them. they can be noisy, produce a lot of heat, break easy and put out a lame type of flow for a reef tank.

Read up on the tunze streams, there is no way you can go wrong with them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: