charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
My RR tank has a built in overflow box. Has anyone tried to use that as a refug? Right now I have some live rock in there. Do you think it's ok to put chaeto in there? I just worried it will clog my drain pipe.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
If its a RR, then it has a sump, why not make a fuge in the sump?
It would probably slowly clog the drain from the algae growing everywhere. Not to mention that area isn't the easiest to access.

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
ming said:
If its a RR, then it has a sump, why not make a fuge in the sump?
It would probably slowly clog the drain from the algae growing everywhere. Not to mention that area isn't the easiest to access.

My sump is a wet/dry filter. One of these days I'll bring myself to build a sump/refug to replace it.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
dont put anything back there, chances are its going to clog your drains and u'll get a nice flood. Secondly a lot of crap will build up and get caught there which will make it ahrd to clean if you fill it w/ stuff. Lastly fish have been known to jump over and into the overflow, u'll never find it with rock etc there.

basically u could have gotten a nice sump instead of a wetdry, what wetdry do u havE? u can easily turn part of it into a refugium

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I bought a used setup that came with a wet/dry. I have the americale system. It only has two parts. I'm replace the bio balls with live rock. There's barely enough room for my return pump and cpr skimmer on one side.

I'll leave the overflow alone. It only has some rock rubble now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: