LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks!

I also found an Aquamedic Turboflater 1000 for tanks from 125-250gal which is the right height. I have to double check the footprint with the LFS that ordered my tank.

I read the first 50 and last 5 pages of the skimmer thread, but couldn't find any info. on it. Do you guys have any experience with this one?

There was also a Turboflater 5000 that was the right the height, but did not give a tank size.

Also, is it possible to overskim?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I had a few turbofloater 1000 when I got back in the hobby 6 years ago, one of the cheapest needle wheel skimmers you can buy at the time. Not the best quality and performance, I would not waste the money on it.

Last edited:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hmm...sorry. Web said Outside skimmer. I misunderstood what that meant. I'll keep looking on the sights listed above.

Still curious about over skimming. Is it possible?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LeslieS said:
Still curious about over skimming. Is it possible?

Most people tend to get a skimmer that is much larger in capacity than their tank size. Ex. 200 gallon rated skimmer on a 90-100 gal tank.

really look into the needle wheel type skimmers like the H&S, Deltec, ASM. I have not met an unhappy reefer with these types of skimmers.

Thankfully you are asking the right questions, my first skimmer was a nightmare and I finally bucked up and bought a quality skimmer and I couldn't be happier with its performance. The H&S skimmer is rated at 225gallons and I run it on a 90 gallon tank.

HTH
Greg

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The H&S was just a little too tall, but the del tec MCE600 was tiny!!! 10.25 x 3.25 x 21 Yeah, it will definitely fit in my cabinet. I may even be able to go one size bigger! APF600 is 11 x 8.5 x 23.5. Will have to call LFS again :D to double check which foot print will work.

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
if you decide to not go with 25", I recently about 3 months ago purchased a skimmer / external gen-x pcx 55 pump from Kasei. This skimmer is nearly new used by kasei and i've been holding it for a while. Looking to sell this MRC-3 skimmer with collectioncup and external pump.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry, just setting up my first tank. What does MRC mean so that I can look it up on line? Also need a very small one to fit under cabinet. How big is it?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MRC is MyReefCreations skimmer. Some people on this board do not like them. I have no experience with them. Others love them.

However the H&S I recommended will custom mode any of their skimmers for about $50 to fit your height.

The Deltec MCE600 is a hang on the back of your tank skimmer. Deltec's are also great skimmers. This skimmer can hang on the back of your sump for use. http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/mce600.php

The skimmer is the hardest and the most important choice to make. It took me months of research before I finally made a choice. Look at all the models people are recommending and do a lot of research on these skimmers. The final choice should be yours, there are many people who have had success with many different type of skimmers. Most people can agree on the complete useless skimmers. While the rest is always up for debate.

Good luck with the hardest choice to make:splitspin:banghead:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
cali-reef ----> never met a skimmer he did not buy :D

pierce you should be able to rattle off a few good skimmer choices off the top of your head ;)

I would stay away from MRC, build quality is not that great.

deltec is a great choice, like the tunze you can't go wrong. just make sure you pick the largest one that will fit in the sump. or under the stand.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
jhale said:
cali-reef ----> never met a skimmer he did not buy :D

pierce you should be able to rattle off a few good skimmer choices off the top of your head ;)

Nope, the 24.5 inch space is too restrictive for a good recommendation. 30" is minimum to use a good, solid skimmer and still have room about to work.

My recommendation -> don't buy a short junk stand, get a solid custom made unit from someone local :biglaugh: .

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: