B. Fishy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... my first post on MR is about cats.... disturbing:catsmiley .... anyway, here goes:

jhale said:
reefer cats are not stinky, people who don't clean the litter box are stinky! clean it every day and there is no stink, you also have to clean the whole thing out every one or two weeks.

I agree wholeheartedly. Our box gets scooped 4-5 times a day and cleaned thoroughly every 3 days. (7 cats + 1 box = a lot of cleaning. looking forward to something easy like a reef tank.... :givebeer: ).

Reefer420 said:
any thoughts as to those mechanical litterboxes that sense when kitty has gone, then sweep the litter into those little containers?

LeslieS and I used one. The problem was the rake got all gunked up and smeared "detritus" all over the sides of the tank... er, box. Then it would dry and cake on. One got jammed and quit working. As chief poop scooper:chefico: , I decided to go back to the old fashioned manual box.

Now a tank-related question (actually on topic :D ): is there any reason to mix T5s and MHs? I've always seen MHs hung from above the tank, but LeslieS notes that Jhale's are in his canopy. I was thinking that a combination of T5s and MHs could reduce the heat and watts while adding some needed extra light for our (LeslieS's and my) tank.

p.s. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I've been reading vicariously through LeslieS. Looking forward to the frag swap -- even though we don't have a tank yet!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hey B. Fishy, Welcome to MR.
I'll pass over the kitty talk if you don't mind :biggrin:

If you want to mix MH and T5's, the only real reason to do that would be to supplement the MH lighting with actinics in the form of T5's.
Actually, T5's provide enough light to keep anything you want under them and less heat issues.
MH's are the tried, true and tested method of purists. They're proven to work. T5's are much newer on the scene and are still getting better.

I use T5's. The use of either of these two lighting methods is debatable as to the superiority of either. You can have great success with either. It becomes a matter of taste.
Any of the two lighting methods you're thinking of can be retrofit into a custom/DIY hood. They can also both be hung from the ceiling. The choice is yours.

Glad you finally decided to post. We've been waiting patiently for Leslie's SO to jump in.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: