drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
How to rid my cyano (BLUE_GEEN algae)

My diatoms are gone :Up_to_som. But now i am getting a green layer allover the glass and rocks. Good or bad. I do know that the tank has to go through the algae stages. but the green looks kinda good makes everything look colorful and bright.

Does any 1 have any expiriance with this issue and know how to get rid of this (nasty cyano)???... its all over.

Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Are you using Tap or RO/DI?
I never had experience with that, but I've seen it in poorly maintained LFS (Petco's, etc.)
It appears to resemble cyano (a neon version...lol).

Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Blue-green algae

bga_anabaena.jpg
Anabaena, a common bloom-forming cyanobacteria

Blue-green algae are bacteria

Despite their name, blue-green algae are actually types of bacteria known as Cyanobacteria. In external appearance and requirements for light, nutrients and carbon dioxide, they are similar to algae. They normally look green and sometimes may turn bluish when scums are dying. Taste and odour problems commonly occur with large concentrations of blue-green algae and some species are capable of producing toxins.
Blue-green algae are very small organisms and can be seen with the aid of a microscope as single cells, accumulations of cells (colonies) or filaments of cells (trichomes). Certain types of blue-green algae have tiny gas vesicles in their cells, allowing them to float to the surface or sink to the bottom in response to changing light and nutrient availability. This buoyancy-regulating mechanism gives the blue-green algae a competitive advantage in obtaining light and nutrients.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: