LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you are into reef tanks, then you probably care about the environment as well. We are currently buying "green" power from ConEd, and it is actually cheaper than the regular electricity!!

16 cent per KWH vs. 20 cents for regular.

I cannot remember the break down for what type of green it is, but ConEd will tell you what %wind, etc...

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LeslieS said:
If you are into reef tanks, then you probably care about the environment as well. We are currently buying "green" power from ConEd, and it is actually cheaper than the regular electricity!!

16 cent per KWH vs. 20 cents for regular.

I cannot remember the break down for what type of green it is, but ConEd will tell you what %wind, etc...

So what's the disadvantage? If it's cheaper there must be a reason that everyone wouldn't opt for it no?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I used Power Your Way at work to get cheaper rates. The catch is that the electricity is delivered by coned but it is actually supplied by an independent supplier, but you get one bill. One of the benefits of deregulation. When you go the website, it will ask you a few questions about your electricity needs and then based on your answers, it will give you a list of different suppliers. You then contact them, get rates, compare and choose. The catch is that not everyone qualifies. It depends on where you live, your consumption, and maybe other things. You can also use it to get heating gas. Also, some people dont want to deal with third parties. Its like phone service. You can get better rates by going to IDT, etc. but sometimes the customer service, or phone service, is not up to par. Personally I havent had any problems with IDT service at home, or the third party elec. supplier at work.

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My electric has gone up quite a bit this year. I never looked that closely at the KwH before but me thinks I'm going to have to start.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
pretty cool- but how come it says on the site 'for only a few pennies more a day you can choose green power..."? I thought you said it was cheaper?

-wait, I see - you can choose among different providers.. pretty cool! I'll have to shop around and see if they come up cheaper...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: