dannyl

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi everyone,

Over the weekend, I notice one of my new fishes that I've purchased had the itch and a white spot on his tail. So I spend like 2 hours trying to get him out of my tank with no success. I even try placing some food in the net to see if I can trick him to getting near the net but it didn't work.

Does anyone have any helpful tips to getting a fish out of the tank.

Thanks

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
dannyl said:
one of my new fishes that I've purchased had the itch and a white spot on his tail.
Does anyone have any helpful tips to getting a fish out of the tank.
Thanks

water changes. my friend. a few of them and the fish will be fine. i had a blenny that had this same problem. did some water changes and it was fine, beautiful and eating. i have an angel that is going thru this as we speak. i think he got it from the clown i just bought.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
dannyl said:
Which of the two are better or they both work the same?

Both function the same, I think the size are a bit different.
I have a larger one, & I caught every fish I needed to. I have A LOT of rocks.
It took a bit longer for Damsels. Those boogers are pretty smart.
I cut down the feeding & they had no choice but to go inside the trap & get some food. It took a few days though.

scarf_ace1981 said:
water changes. my friend. a few of them and the fish will be fine. i had a blenny that had this same problem. did some water changes and it was fine, beautiful and eating. i have an angel that is going thru this as we speak. i think he got it from the clown i just bought

That's not the best treatment "if" the fish has Ich.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
DaRealDvs1 said:

I agree. However, I think letting the fish 'stress down' from transporting and acclimating is a worthwhile attempt. I've had fish show signs also. I've never removed any or treated the tank for it. After 4 or 5 days it has always gone away. Will this definitely work? Absolutely not. Can it work? Yes.

Stop chasing the fish for a few days. Feed normal. Make sure nobody is picking on it. Assess the situation towards the end of the week. Their immune systems do have the ability to heal.

JMO,
swimmer

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
he never said the fish had ick. he did say they had an itch and a white spot. when he said itch i guessed he meant they were rubbing the whitespot on the rocks or sand. which is what my fish do when they have that fungus type of disease

best way to catch a fish? hook, line and sinker. you may laugh but i think jasckson6745 caught fish this way. a tiny hook and line. ask him about it. you could go the trap way but as stated you may have to starve the fish a little to lure it in the trap

Last edited:

dannyl

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks. Plus i did a 10% water change yesterday when I was trying to catch him out of my tank to make sure it doesn't spread any where else. Just having a hard time catching the angle fish. I thought it would be easy to catch him since it always look like he's a slow swimmer untill i brought down the fish net.lol!! I'll try to see if I can find this at a LFS.

dannyl

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well the fish is rubbing itself against the rocks and sand. He's even at the point that he's using one of my crabs to help him scratch which makes me laugh but then i notice the crab pinch his skin and scared him a bit. now im just worry that he may hurt himself.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
he never said the fish had ick. he did say they had an itch and a white spot. when he said itch i guessed he meant they were rubbing the whitespot on the rocks or sand. which is what my fish do when they have that fungus type of disease.

That's why there is a IF in my sentence, in quotation marks.

DaRealDvs1 said:

Without knowing the exact problem, why recommend just water changes.
I think he's playing it safe & is willing QT the fish......which is a good thing.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I still think if he keeps chasing the fish and adding more stress, it's worse than just leaving him be and allowing its immune system to work. Give it a chance without increasing its stressors.

swimmer

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
That's why I recommended a trap.
I have used it. It's easy & painless.

I don't think he's chasing it anymore.

One thing I went through once before Russ:
I put a few new fish in my display without QT'ing, not knowing it was sick........well, it wiped out my whole community.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Phil, I completely understand. I still think that just letting it relax for a few days MIGHT, not definitely, but MIGHT let it recover. I've had good success with this non-invasive method. I've never lost a tank or fish to this method. But that doesn't mean it won't or couldn't happen. It just sounds like he's been chasing it since its been introduced.

swimmer

dannyl

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks everyone. I only did try to catch it this past sunday and for like 2 hours. I haven't tried to catch him since then. He's been so for doing the same but I'll wait it out. Its just scary watching him lay next to the crab to have the crab try to pinch it off.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
if you dont have any fish that eat shrimp ,
why not get a cleaner shrimp they do the job as well ,it may help a bit

that if you cant get get he fish out

dannyl

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I actually do have a shrimp in there ( tiger shrimp). But I finally got him out I went with the just waiting it out untill they got a little hungry and placed the food in the net and stuck the net in the tank and waited till he came to the net and pulled him out. I put him in a one of those 2 or 3 gallan plastic tank. Put the medicine in and waited like a half hour and felt bad that he was in there. so I placed him back into the tank. :splitspin This was done all yesterday. I just don't like seeing him unhappy. Ohh the plastic tank, I used the same water that I had in the tank so the water condition was the same. I placed an air bubble in there and a heater to maintain the temperature. He still have the white spots on him. The reason why I took him out and placed him back the tank was that I was worried that he'll end up dying in there. Not sure if the copper liquid stuff is scary to dose him with. :headache: Just didn't want to risk loosing him that way.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: