MDharmony

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a 75 gal tank with clownfish, hippo tang, and yellow tang...with LR and soft corals. Temperature has normally been at 76 degrees, but in about a 36 hour period, temp dropped to about 66 degrees due to heater malfunction. I have slowly brought my temp back to 68 deg in 2.5 hrs. How fast should I bring it back up to 76 degrees? My livestock are all doing well at the moment, but I don't want to harm my fish in this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Just slow bring it back up over the rest of the day. You need to bring it up about 8 more degree which you should able to do over the next 2 - 4 hours without any problems. The fish will be fine with the change in temp swing but watch out for the corals.

76 degrees is fine for the fish but for corals you should be a little higher say in the 78-80 range.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ummm how long how this tank been set up... i found this link that has some relevance to wat cali has said.....

the finding nemo gang should not have been put in if this is still cycling... please do bring them back to the store or a let a local reefer care for em until ur tank has fully cycled and is ready for them... and i wouldnt add all at once ur bioload will not be able to handle all of them at once... one at a time every other week seems ok in my eyes... *once ur tank is fully ready...
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/12048-pump.html

MDharmony

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Cycling?

Correct me if I'm wrong but where is everyone getting cycling from? My question stem was about a temp flux not cycling. It is a 3 yr established tank with all parameters normal (except temp). Perhaps a misunderstanding because it's in the beginners section?

Michael

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think it had to do with your other post, people got the impression that you where just about to starting a new tank. In that post you also listed fish that you want to get and then in this post you already had the fish that you listed. From that people thought you had started up the tank and added these fish right away.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
MDharmony said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but where is everyone getting cycling from? My question stem was about a temp flux not cycling. It is a 3 yr established tank with all parameters normal (except temp). Perhaps a misunderstanding because it's in the beginners section?
The confusion stems from this statement:

MDharmony said:
Hello everybody. I was referred to this site by DeepWater. So far, it's been great.

I've been saving up for awhile now for this hobby. I just bought a 72 gallon reef-ready Oceanic Bowfront. I also bought the Oceanic model #1 Reef-ready sump for $150. I wasn't sure if I should return it and buy one from another store that comes with the Oceanic sump, as well as, the biochamber, plumbing kit, and glass top for $229. Is it worth it? The plumbing kit comes with 3/4" Insert fitting, 1" T.O.E. fitting, 48" drain hose, 72" return hose, Teflon tape, Small and Large hose clamps, and bulkhead fitting. Will I also need the biochamber? Or should I use a different set up? Does the glass top help really help prevent water splashing, evaporation, "salt creep", and excessive water pump noise like it advertises?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
MDharmony said:
Yes I am setting up a new tank but I have an established tank in addition.
But where did this come from? If you're not Dulce, then that explains why it seems 2 people are using the same username :scratch:

MDharmony said:
All I know is that I find the marine aquarium so beautiful to look at and it just relaxes me. I already have 2 tanks set up at home: a freshwater African Cichlid tank and a plant aquarium that have both been successful. I find this hobby much more challenging and that?s exactly why I?m here.
:backtotop Good luck with temperature issue. Many reefers use a heater controller (for ex: Ranco) to help prevent such problems.

MDharmony

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Actually my girlfriend and I share this. Maybe we should sign
Michael/Dulce. We have 2 separate heaters. Working on a chiller/heater controller. Thanks for the input.

Michael/Dulce

DRENALYN9

HALF-A-FLIP
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
bio-spira!!!!!! it works

let your tanks cycle and stop buying fish, let the temp rise 2 deg per every 4 hours untill tank is at good temp.

oh yeah

stop buying fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would suggest not sharing an account, that is going to continually going to mess you and others up. Have your GF sign up with her own name :)

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm glad my wife limits her input to what fish to buy (sometimes) and just enjoying the tank.

Of course, she is a card carrying member of the reefers wife and GF society- they all work diligently to keep us from spending too much money. ;-)

If she started following MR threads I would not be able to take the anxiety...

-Alfred

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: