Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Go to marinedepot.com or another retail site - you can find auto top off units there. Basically a float switch that turns on a pump in a bin of fresh water when your tank water level goes down too far- bringing you water level up and keeping salinity levels stable...

I'd go with something that has two switches (one for backup)- or you will be upgrading (like I am soon) to something better!

daviddd

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS Reefer Again....for being so helpful. Do you try to find websites close to where we live ( New York) so shipping costs do not empty your wallet, or locate sites with a good rep, good customer service and that have what you are looking for?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
An auto topoff is a way to replace water that evaporates from your tank. Evaporation (especially on a small tank) can wreak havoc on your salinity.
Salt does not evaporate. So when your tank experiences evaporation, the salt stays behind and thereby increases the salinity (specific gravity) in your tank.

A 100 gallon system can easily evaporate 1-2 gallons per day. That only represents 1-2%. However, in a small tank of say 10 gallons you could experience a pint of evaporation per day. If you don't replace this evaporation with FW (freshwater) every day your SG will fluctuate. Stability is one of the keys to success in this hobby.

An auto topoff is a float switch that will automatically monitor the water level in your tank/sump. The float switch is connected to a pump. When the water level drops to a certain point, the float switch will drop and it will 'call' for the pump to turn on and automatically deliver FW to your tank. This will happen as often as the water level drops and keep your tank 'topped off' and more stable.

HTH,
swimmer

DRENALYN9

HALF-A-FLIP
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hey my name is David D too, i agree you can go with oceanics 30 cube they are really nice and perfect not too tiny and not going to take up too much space, plus they come in different colors. i would talk to dreko i know that he has two and hey would deffinetly be one of the many knowledgable people that you could talk to. good luck and read as much as you can. more you read more you will know.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
David, Welcome to MR!

Okay first of all, are you choosing a small tank because of the size you have for it or the budget? How big is the footprint you have for the tank?

Do you have room for a sump? This will increase your total water volumn, and you'll have a place for your heater, probes, carbon, ect.

My first reef was a 15gal. Then I added a 7 gallon. Then I put them both together in a 20 gallon. I've only ever had a nano reef. I'm currently designing a 58 gallon tank- finally a move from the nanos!

So if you're responsible enough, and you'll put the time in, you could easily have a nano as your first tank.

I'll tell you the two things that I think have helped me be sucessful with my small reefs (and my hecktic schedule)

My RO/DI filter. One thing I learned was to NOT put the impurites into the tank, and you won't have to clean them out later (as algea!)

My Litermeter top off pump. It keeps my tank level exactly where I want it to be, and I don't have to worry about evaporation problems. It also helps me dose kalk.

So if you take your time, you should be able to do it right, and have a successful tank.

(BTW, If budget is holding you back, It took me almost a year to get everything together for my first tank! Take your time and buy the RIGHT thing the first time)

Brett

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
and remember that its not really one-for-one in terms of tank size/cost...

my 16g setup cost me pretty much the same as a 30g setup would have - my lighting would have cost more (i'd go w/ a 150w MH over the 30g...) but overall it would have been pretty much the same other than the extra 20-30lbs of rock you would need. Well so it wouldn't be exactly the same price - but you wouldn't be spending 2X as much for a tank 2X in size.

I wish I had realized that when I started- not that I dislike my 16g- but 30g would have been soooo much better in terms of sapce for frags, etc.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
David,

I didnt read all the posts so forgive me if this is redundant. I have a nanocube ( the 12 dx ), it is my first sw tank and I got it because my one bedroom apt is already crowded with my other tanks. If I was starting again, I'd start from scratch. I've heard about both Aquapods and NC cracking but my main problem is with the whole all-in-one concept. It doesn't leave you much room for customization, mixing and matching, etc. There is a lot of DIY projects ( check at nano-reef.com ) for the cube's but if you're already going to start doing those, you might as well start with a regular tank from the beginning. If you already have a cube, thats another story. Hope this helps.

Eric N.

daviddd

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS for all the advice guys. Space is my problem. Not financial. And being a Newbie I was drawn towards an Aquapod being basically all inclusive. The more I read in these posts, the more confused I became. There is so much to consider, and so many answers for the same questions. Being retired I have all the time in the world so the idea of an Auto Topoff was never a need. And due to my disabilities my access to the outside is limited and my LFS is no longer in the Salt Water business.
Jejton...I believe I could fit an 30 Gallon tank in my space, but I do not think I would have room for a sump or any other equipment beyond what I can hang on a tank.
All I have is the great advice in these forums (especially Manhattan Reef),
but what I need is that List that tells me what I need to make a 30 Gallon Tank work in my small space. With that List I am sure I could find where to purchase the items on it. BUT that is why the All Inclusive (with a few additions) Aquapod was sounding so perfect.I hope I can find the Answer here because I can just Taste that Nano Reef.
THANKS!!
David D.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
don't worry about a sump so much if you can't fit it - I don't have one on my 16g and its been doing great...

I would search nano-reefs.com as well. Lots of great 30g cubes there as well!

daviddd

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that I know who "Dru" is...druluv from ReefersChoice.com...
Druluv...any suggestions or recomendation you may have for me would be greatly appreciated...please pm me or email me
THANKS!!
David D.

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
hi david i have a nano 12g and a24g, if you can go with 30 gal tank that what i whould do, the jbj nano thanks are nice after haveing them for a year i whould have been better of with a 30 gal ,just read and ask ???? here you will be happy ,welcome aboard pets wharehouse has some good price on thanks,

frank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: