SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well my wife made it clear she wants clown fish (yes the exact ones from that Nemo movie) lol so what other colorful fish would you recommend to put with those?

As for sand maybe ill just make a deeper sand bed now so if i do switch i wont have to worry about that later, in this case how deep should the sand be?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you go with a DSB you need to make sure you have the proper inverts to move the sand around and maintain the DSB. If not it could become a time bomb over time that will explode, if some fish moves it around, releasing a lot of bad stuff into the tank. It maybe better to go with a shallow sand bed of 1"-2".

As for fish that you can choose from, there are a whole bunch of different fish that would get along well with the Clowns. Check one of the on-line places, see link below, to get an idea of what available:

Look at the Pgymy Angels, Blennies, Gobies, Dottyback/Basslets, Cardindal fish, Fire Fish, Small Wrasse or Hogfish or a smaller tang like one of the Kole type tang or a small Yellow tang.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=15

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
yea i will be setting it up this weekend, ill be taking a ton of pics from start to finish just trying to undestand what i should start it with. I think what ill do is create a 2" live sand bed and a little live rock then wait for cycling to complete, that is ok right?

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I live in Ridgewood NY right off the Myrtle Ave exit of the Interboro/Jakie Robinson

Ill pick up the live sand, heater and live rock first before I ask for help or somebody offers, dont want them to waste there time also I bought most of the stuff from a member on here and hes been real helpful.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Since this is going to be a fish tank and not a reef tank in order to help with the cycling you need to get a product called Nitrex. Most stores sell it and it goes for about $20 in LFS and $12 online.

1 box will be what you''ll need to start the tank off. Just place it in your hang-on filter and you'll be able to add your fish from the get go without worring about the tank finishing cycling. The Nitrex will convertthe ammonia and nitrite over into nitrate in the beginning until your biololgy filter is ready to take over. Very good product and it take away the chance of things dieing in the beginning.

p614b.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: