Well I just set-up my first Reef Tank:

40 Gal. Tall
PC Lighting/Moon Lights
Wet/Dry Filter
Protein Skimmer
HOB Refugium-2" Sand Bed/Tigger Pods/Cheatomorpha/Rock Rubble-Installed 5/19
40lbs. Live Rock
25lbs. Fiji Sand
3lbs. Crushed Coral, Weird I know, ask and I'll tell.

Firefish-2.5"
Royal Gramma-2.5"
Maroon Clown-2.5"
Green Mandarin-1.5" To soon I know, but i've bought Pods for him to eat.
Blue Green Chromis-1.5"

Solomon Bubble Tip Anemone-Hosted by Clown
Cleaner Shrimp
2 Blue Legged Hermits
1 Orange Legged Hermit
2 Red Scarlet Hermits
1 Unidentified Hermit
1 Mexican Turbo Snail
2 Bumble Bee Snails
1 Hawaiin Feather Duster

2 Gorilla Crabs small, Hitchikers, been trying to get them out without taking the tank apart, not luck yet.

Blue Stripped Mushrooms
Green Mushrooms
Red Mushrooms
Brown Zoos
Colored Zoos
Yellow Polyps

So What ya think?
Adding Blood Fire Shrimp and orange and green zoos.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You say you just set this system up. How long ago did you start?
I'm asking this because you seem to have a lot going on in a very short time.

Equipment first. The wet/dry is a potential problem. Reef tanks of yesteryear used wet/dry's. Now that we use LR and protein skimmers to process ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and dissolved organic compounds (DOC's), wet/dry's have been discovered to add to the nutrients in our tanks. They trap detritus and in doing so actually become a nutrient sink (adding nutrients to the water moreso than removing them).

Your PC lighting is on the low end of acceptable for an anemone. Which, on the other hand should be added to a tank that has had an opportunity to mature. Some people suggest waiting as long as a year before adding one. The corals (softies and polyps) that you're stocking is absolutely fine with PC lighting. The anemone and hard corals (if you decide to go that route) require more than PC's.

You already know the story on adding a mandarin at this time (as you eluded to). A HOB fuge is very small for pod production and having it set up for six days at this time is a good 8 months short of mature. Same thing with the crushed coral. Why?

If you haven't seen any aggression from the maroon clown yet, just keep an eye on it. They are one of the most aggressive fish in the clown family.

Your choice of snails, crabs, shrooms, zoos and polyps are great.

IMO you should consider slowing down a lot. Without knowing the exact date you started, it just appears that you're rushing things a bit.

Feel free to ask questions, preferrably before you make any purchases, and join in on our discussions. There is a lot to learn in this hobby. The first thing is, bad things happen very fast and good things take time.

Good luck,
swimmer

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
masterswimmer said:
You say you just set this system up. How long ago did you start?
I'm asking this because you seem to have a lot going on in a very short time.

Equipment first. The wet/dry is a potential problem. Reef tanks of yesteryear used wet/dry's. Now that we use LR and protein skimmers to process ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and dissolved organic compounds (DOC's), wet/dry's have been discovered to add to the nutrients in our tanks. They trap detritus and in doing so actually become a nutrient sink (adding nutrients to the water moreso than removing them).

Your PC lighting is on the low end of acceptable for an anemone. Which, on the other hand should be added to a tank that has had an opportunity to mature. Some people suggest waiting as long as a year before adding one. The corals (softies and polyps) that you're stocking is absolutely fine with PC lighting. The anemone and hard corals (if you decide to go that route) require more than PC's.

You already know the story on adding a mandarin at this time (as you eluded to). A HOB fuge is very small for pod production and having it set up for six days at this time is a good 8 months short of mature. Same thing with the crushed coral. Why?

If you haven't seen any aggression from the maroon clown yet, just keep an eye on it. They are one of the most aggressive fish in the clown family.

Your choice of snails, crabs, shrooms, zoos and polyps are great.

IMO you should consider slowing down a lot. Without knowing the exact date you started, it just appears that you're rushing things a bit.

Feel free to ask questions, preferrably before you make any purchases, and join in on our discussions. There is a lot to learn in this hobby. The first thing is, bad things happen very fast and good things take time.

Good luck,
swimmer

Well I bought the wet/dry cause I thought it was the best filtration unit, I've heard about the nitrates it causes. I also have a protein skimmer and a refugium which is another source of filtration as well as the Live Rock, what would you recommend as a filtration unit besides a wet/dry. I do know that anemones need high light requirements, but the Bubble Tip can be an exception, it doesn't require as much lighting as others, BUT it has established it's position high in the tank were it gets better lighting, and it seems to be doing fine, not bleached, eating, and has hosted with my clown, as for him, it has not shown aggression to any other tankmate, i am aware of it's temperment, he stays in the anemone most of the time, comes out to eat, hasn't really explored the tank, I have realized that I've put alot into the tank quickly, but the addiction of this hobby is immense, at first I knew nothing of this hobby, but now I've done alot of research and my tank so far is running smoothly, and looking colorful, this weekend I added Ricordea Mushrooms, they are green/purple, and in the actinics change to orange then yellow in the moonlights, as for now, I'm sticking only to shrooms and zoos, cause of my lighting and space, thanks for your concern and critic,

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: