DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Marrone,
would you care to explain why you think the Emperor is a better unit.

From his previous thread.....he is planning on a reef, so if recommending one of these units, I would also guide him on the maintenance that these filters require to sustain a good water quality.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The Emperor is a larger unit and has a deeper area where you can place stuff like carbon and poly pads. I know they have changed the Penguin filter some what but the Emperor was always larger and had the bigger area where you could put things. The Emperor is also a stronger filter, more gph than the Penguin. So if your going to get one or the other I would get the Emperor.

Since he has a 29gal tank and probably wouldn't have a sump an Emperor is a good filter to run on it. You don't want to run the bio-wheel and for that matter put anything in it except for some carbon and a poly pad. So basically you would run the filter empty. Every so often you probably need to clean it out as it's going to have some sand or junk in it.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Well, that answers my question......:teeth:

The reason I ask, is because I ran both for many years & the concept is the same. The slightly larger size wasn't a concern to me & the slight difference in GPH was hardly noticable. They are both reliable. though.
I my beginnings of saltwater, I purchased a set-up that included an Emporer & Penguin fiter. My water parameters sucked & remained that way.
I never found any good info on how to use these types of filters & maintain a reef.
They are OK for Fish only, as long as they are cleaned out regularly.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I used one on my 35gal Hex reef and it did a good job but a sump is the better way to go. I think that the Emperor has the bigger area and makes it's better to hold stuff and not cut down on the flow as much as the Penguin does.

They're good for FO systems but you do need to clean them from time to time. The Bio-wheel does product a lot of nitrates with is a no-no in a reef tank.

oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks guys....sorry to waste everybodys time but today i have purchased a hang on refugium from reefdriven today...but i have 1 more question....i took out the filter i originally had in there(freshwater filter) and i have the fuge running...but my water doesn't clear up quickly(from the sand that is floating around in the water...) as of right now i do not have a skimmer...so if i have a fuge with LR LS and CHAETO in there do i still need a filter...and the fuge that i bought already covers my whole entire back of my 29g tank...so do i need to purchase another filter, skimmer?

oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I Have Live sand if that is what you are asking. I have live rocks as well...the tank has been running for a good 3 1/2 weeks....all readings are 0...so do i still need a filter to clear up the water...cuz reefdriven told me that the fuge will do it..but it is weak..

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Ummmmmmm.....you should edit it again
bangin.gif

PM the person your offer .

oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
no i mean when i clean the tank and move around the rocks the sand startes to get all messy and stuff..thats what i meant...the fuge is not strong enough to clear it fast...so does this mean i have to get a filteR? or a skimmer will do the job

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Your probably going to have some sand blowing around until the tank has been running for a couple of months and the smaller particles of sand clump together some. Also outside of cleaning the front glass I not sure what else you would be cleaning in the tank.

Outside of the Refug what other water movement do you have in the tank, like a Power Head or small filter.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: