Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Since day 1 I've been using Catalina Water (the premade saltwater at petco) for my tank. Due to the high heat i've experienced a nice bit of evaporation. Since all I have is premade saltwater I've been using Poland Spring to top off.
:iamwithst

There's got to be a better (cheaper) way. I know most of you use reverse osmosis filters, but I honestly dont have the space to takeover a sink (nor do I have a willing spouse). Is there something simpler I could do at home to make some water? Could I use tap water if i let it get stale for a week? Or is there a place in fairfield/westchester that sells filtered water super cheap?

Before you guys became "hardcore" reefers, what did you do for a water source?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Get a RODI and use it with a faucet adapter. When youre done making water, pack the stuff away. That way you get water and spouse does not have to look at all the equipment.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Craig said:
Before you guys became "hardcore" reefers, what did you do for a water source?

I used distilled water from K-Mart. It came in 2 gallon jugs. After a few months, I got tired of carrying those jugs and bought a RO/DI unit.

underworld@hvrk

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
when I started I did the same thing ,used catalina water-IMO it was a bad mistake- have you ever tested there water right out of the bag? next time u get a bag test it and test the next bag u get after that-the test will flucuate especially ph and salinity. I would have to say getting an rodi is
a must if keeping a reef and beleive me its not as complicated or expesive as you may think, you'll actually save money because I know first hand
catalina water cost $10.00 bucks for 5 gallons. if you have any questions
refer to this link:
http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
You guys now have me sold on a RO setup. Any reccomendations on one that I can pull out of a closet, make water quickly (not sure what type of storage container to use) and then put back into the closet? Since my tank is 46 gallons I dont see myself ever making more than 20 galons in one shot ever.

underworld@hvrk

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
craig they will all work for your application just when you purchase your unit get the kitchen faucet connection-the units are not that big so you may want to consider the peircing saddle valve and leving it under your sink. heres a site that has everything you need in the rodi relm
http://airwaterice.com/

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Awesome info! Thanks all. I'm seriously considering the AQUA-SAFE AQUARIUM REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER (found the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4466020082&fromMakeTrack=true) system for $90. I guess I'll mount the system under my sink to one small piece of plywood and then mount the plywood with 2 wood screws for minimal damage to my cabinet.

When it comes to maintenance, are refills all brand specific or do they tend to be universal?

(apologies for all of the day 1 questions)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
its not a problem craig.. were just happy to guide u in the right directions... some of us are hard headed but we always go to the right info.. u can order them on ebay as well... what i would do when the time is right order in bulk usually cheaper and jus divide the cost and sell em to us pretty much like a group buy...

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I would get one with a clear filter housings and a standard refillable DI cartridge, you will know when you need to change the filter if you can see them. I helped a friend setting up an aqua safe unit, I think they are put together poorly, leaked at almost every connection.

I have a Kent Marine unit, but it is pretty pricey. Try Welter at Airwaterice, they are made pretty well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: