masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
SaltWaterN00b said:
What color should i paint the back of the tank?

And there you have it. Personal preference. :lol2: Look at a few tanks set up in various ways and make a decision based on one that you can look at everyday. They are all beautiful to the person who designed them.

I'd recommend covering your tank while you are painting. If you are running a skimmer with a venturi, I'd shut that too. The venturi is designed to suck in air from the outside of the tank. If that air is heavily laden with paint fumes it could present a problem. Can't be too careful.

swimmer

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Quick update

PH 8.0
Saltwater Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0

PH went up from 7.8
Ammonia went down from .50
Nitrite still at 0
Nitrate didnt move
Gary the snail is still alive.

OH also ill now be picking up live rock this weekend, got a good offer so i'll be picking it up hopefully Saturday. Wife is going to kill me i know it!

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
SaltWaterN00b said:
Well the Nitrex is coming tomorrow so should I wait to add the Nitrex until the rock is in? or should i dump it in and then add the live rock Saturday?

The Nitrex will convert over the ammonia and nitrites to nitrates and then help eliminate them. If the LR is of good quailty and either cured or without a lot of live on it, so you wouldn't have a lot of die off, then it wouldn't make a different which you do first.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i'm glad to see the 55g up and running. hope you enjoy it as much as i did.

i should have made it saltwater. just wouldn't have been able to enjoy it sitting all the way out there in the hallway.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
SaltWaterN00b said:
I spoke to a pet store guy, family owned business forever and he said for a fish only tank avoid live rock, it will make unwanted bacteria, any truth to that?

What color should i paint the back of the tank?

As i said its not finished, and i ran out of cash lol it will look like that for a little while.

hey saltwater, what that lfs said is one of the most ridiculious things ive ever heard to this day, well one of the many stupid things ive ever heard... the bacteria helps your tank out in so many ways... i think its all about eye candy what u like personally... i love my live rock just look at my signature below.. i see that as beautiful... but it does give the fishies a hiding place and also helps your filtration out alot...

now for the background its all preference... i did black on my tank i think it looks more appealing that way but i wont see it for longer anyway.. coralline will eventually take over and it will be purple lmao.. but ive seen 2 colors which are the blue and black... its all up 2 u... i think the blue looks good something like a royal blue... the best one 2 use if you chose to paint it would be rustoleum latex i believe with a small sponge roller (3-4") ull need to do like 7-8 coats have a fan behind it on when ur trying to dry the coats will move the air from the tank as well... then shut it off and do the next coat... (do not use a spray can) <--- not a good choice at all..

anyways keep us informed and i hope this helps...

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Updated Pics

FishTank014.jpg

FishTank012.jpg

FishTank016.jpg

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well I got me a six line Wrasse and he seems to be happy, picking the rock and eating the pellets. Its funny because he'll grab a pellet and run under the rock to eat it then repeat until theres no more food.

Found an awesome Fish shop on Main Street and Northern Blvd, guy knew his stuff and helped me out alot! Went to fish town and the guy there was contridicting himself about a skimmer so i just left, he tried to get me to buy a ton of crap I didnt want, fish i didnt want etc....I hate that.

But anyways the fish seems happy!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: