JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I've read that corals shouldn't be placed to close to each other. Yet I've seen pictures with different color zoos together. So does that mean that zoos and shrooms shouldn't be put togther as well as other corals. Or can the same speices of coral be kept togther.

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
How can I tell that they are not co-exiting with each other once I place them together, I don't plan to mix species. I just want to see if the shrooms can be put together, I want to start fragging and if I can put a different color shrooms on a rock that would be cool.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In that 1st article the writer states that:
Mushrooms, (actinodiscus, ricordia sp., inodiscus sp.), are the least aggressive corals.As far as I know, they have very little, if no sting at all. Part of the natural defense of mushrooms may be that they have adapted to lower light, current, and water quality than other corals can stand, so they have little competition for space.

I don't know about anyone else here, but from my experience shrooms have a VERY strong sting - when one shroom polyp landed on my brain coral the brain almost died before I realized what was happening...whereas my Frogspawn pretty much touches the brain and they seem to have come to an agreement...the brain doesn't look like it minds the frogspawn anymore.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Reefer420 said:
whereas my Frogspawn pretty much touches the brain and they seem to have come to an agreement...the brain doesn't look like it minds the frogspawn anymore.

Consider yourself lucky; that's not what I'd expect.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Deanos said:
Consider yourself lucky; that's not what I'd expect.

I know - but it did take a while. One other thing - I have a leather that was in contact w/ a shroom. For few months the leather barely opened up- but after a while it seemed to get used to the shroom being there and started looking healthy again.

but if you have the room, I would certainly space corals out - no need to have that kind of warfare if you can help it. I also run carbon 24/7, otherwise I think my nano would have some problems w/ the number of corals I have releasing their toxins.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i wish it were - then i would have one less mantis shrimp to contend with!

nitrates in the tank are bad for inverts... flatworm exit (or whatever its called- kills flatworms) is bad... carbon just removes impurities from the water..

some people say that leaving carbon in too long leeches the good trace minerals out of the water, but others say it doesn't matter... its a debate thats ongoing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: