TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do you clean detritus on BB tanks? I've been siphoning it out when I do my water changes. I was wondering if you could use a canister filter, like a diatom filter. Use one end to siphon and let the water stay in the tank. Would this work?

Steven

underworld@hvrk

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
do you have starboard in your tank? if you do and you left about a 1/2 inch space between the starboard and the tank this would create a gully for the detritus to settle and although it sounds crazy get a small shop vac from walmart and get the micro attatchment kit, wich has a long tube with a slighlty bent end, use this to remove the detritus from your tank it works awesome, besides the fact you lose about a gallon a day but IMO if you do this 3 times a week or so a large water change is not needed-its like a 3-4 gallon water change a week!!

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
With the siphon hose and the filter sock, if you have a sump, all you have to do is place the sock in the sump then place the hose into it after starting the siphon from the display. Put the hose into the sock so it drains right into your sump and you don't have to worry about losing any water.
-Kris

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
listen my starboard is spotless....go by a good turkey baster (prob 3-4 bux) and blow it (ditris)into the overflows, few times a week at first then u wont need to do it so often...
also it might be good to direct a small power head at the starboard to keep the ditris from settling...

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
SlamaJama said:
listen my starboard is spotless....go by a good turkey baster (prob 3-4 bux) and blow it (ditris)into the overflows, few times a week at first then u wont need to do it so often...
also it might be good to direct a small power head at the starboard to keep the ditris from settling...

But then you end up with a sump full of detritus, unless he has a filter sock over the drain pipe :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: