masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Craig, have you tested your waters' parameters? Leathers are very hardy coral. There's an old standard joke in the hobby that states in order to frag a leather, you just throw it in a blender, chop it up and put the pieces in your tank. THIS IS JUST A JOKE, DO NOT TRY IT. However, it does relate the relative hardiness of leathers.

Test your water. Post the results. Hear the feedback.

Russ

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
here are the specs;

phosphate: 0.5
SG= 1.023
temp=79
calcium=440
ph=8.2
ammonia= 0.5
nitrate=5
nitrite=0

other thing to note is that I'm planning to do a 10% water change tomorrow and put some fresh phosban into my filter.

Last edited:

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Took a few days for my lfs to order, but I managed to get the Salifert test kits today. Damn these were pricey!

alk 9.9dKH salifert
Mag 1200ppm salifert
phosphate: 0.5 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
SG= 1.024 instant ocean hydrometer
temp=78 stick on thermometer
calcium=430 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
ph=8.3 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
ammonia= 0.5 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
nitrate=5 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
nitrite=0 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

The leather has been coming apart for the past few days. It's about half the original size. I moved it closer to my filter intake so the crud coming off can be captured.

Do the H2O parameters seem ok?

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Your water parameters aren't terrible at all. How long has the tank been set up? Refresh my memory, how many lbs of LR in what size tank? You're showing a reading of .5 Ammonia. This could be an indicator that your cycle is not complete, or maybe you just recently added more LR that is causing a mini cycle.

Otherwise all the rest of your parameters are fine. I would most definitely ditch the hydrometer and get yourself a refractometer:

$59.95
$44.95
$39.95
$29.95

You won't be disappointed with any of the above. Hydrometers are notorious for inaccurate readings.

swimmer

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Tank has been setup for over 6 months. It's a 46 gallon with 65lbs of live rock and 40 pounds of live sand.

I've recently added a couple of frags which were attached to nice size chunks of liverock, and about 15 snails . It's been at 0.5 for just under a week. Prior to that it was at 0. I'm going to do a small water change tonight (approx 5 galoons) and clean out my cannister filter to try to help it out a little.

I will definately be purchasing a refractometer after my next paycheck. The $30 one seems perfect! Thanks for that tip :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: