haiyzues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey guys...
So about 3 weeks ago, I couldn't get my calcium up but now that I realize it, I think it's because I was making the switch from regular instant ocean to reef crystals..anyway I was testing magnesium with salifert and I'm pretty sure I was reading the results wrong. Just to clarify...this a dumb question but the more drops I add, the higher the mag? Anyway so if I have the right results than I probably should have never been using kent tech m cause now mag is over 1500 what should I do? All my corals have been great, all lps are open. Only thing I lost was daisy polyps which is weird but that was when my calc was low. Thanks for your time guys.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I don't have a Mg Salifert kit to tell you if the more drops you have to add if your reading will be higer or lower, but do make sure you are reading the syringe with the tip pointing upwards..and do follow the instructions carefully!

If you are certain you did the test correctly and 1500 is your reading, that is not really bad. Many folks will raise their Mg level to over 1700 to get rid of bryopsis algae in their tank. It won't harm your corals or your fish.
Just let it reduce to 1350 natuarally when you do water changes.

You could always redo the test to double check your results :)

haiyzues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't have a Mg Salifert kit to tell you if the more drops you have to add if your reading will be higer or lower, but do make sure you are reading the syringe with the tip pointing upwards..and do follow the instructions carefully!

If you are certain you did the test correctly and 1500 is your reading, that is not really bad. Many folks will raise their Mg level to over 1700 to get rid of bryopsis algae in their tank. It won't harm your corals or your fish.
Just let it reduce to 1350 natuarally when you do water changes.

You could always redo the test to double check your results :)

Thanks for the help!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: