cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I don't see any pro for the hang-on type OFB, only CONs... I have used a few different types of OFB my self.

If you have a empty tank, drilling it is the best route to go. Or go sump less, save your self the frustration if you don't want to get as involved in setting up the tank.

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
heuerfan said:
I agree that drilling is the idea way to go especially if your going to incorporate external overflows. But the post is regarding pros/cons of OFB, not should i go OFB or Drilled? :D
Actually I intended this thread to help me decide b/w overflow or drill..

Second, Thank you all for your insight.

I think I have to go drilled, because I have the option and I like the relialibity factor. Although you guys put up a convincing case for OFBs.

Herman. I like that RC pic, elbow is nice, you can regulate water level I assume.
How do you limit the slurppping sound with that, also do you cover or sheild it, i forsee a turbo getting stuck in the pipe.

As for the external OF like the design on a custom, but too complicated for me.
Maybe I can find some way to replace the elbow with some type of small skimmer box.
Also when the time comes I will need someone to give me exact sizes and parts needed

NYreef- pretty sweet sump$$$ but i havent really looked around yet

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
heuerfan said:
What were the Cons in your experience? Would like to know for my own benefit.

Siphon breaking is the biggest one, that typically results in floods, unless you are willing to not fill your tank to the top, as it is design to do:D.. Getting the siphon started after a cleaning is a pain the in the rear, cleaning the U tube is also not too easy if you don't use a flexible brush. Having a box hanging on the inside and outside of the tank is a waste of space and hard to cover up from jumping fish. The list can go on if you don't like something or the list can be short or none existing if you think the best way is your way.

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Cali, you had to bring up the sumpless option again, I had myself convinced I would go sump.... now here comes the sign for the easy road again. lol

Is a sump really worth the extra hassle and cost esp for the fact i have to get a custom sump opp to a 20stockDIY, opposed to a remora and aquaclear refuge mod. nice grammer

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
cali_reef said:
Siphon breaking is the biggest one, that typically results in floods, unless you are willing to not fill your tank to the top, as it is design to do:D.. Getting the siphon started after a cleaning is a pain the in the rear, cleaning the U tube is also not too easy if you don't use a flexible brush. Having a box hanging on the inside and outside of the tank is a waste of space and hard to cover up from jumping fish. The list can go on if you don't like something or the list can be short or none existing if you think the best way is your way.

Okay thanks Cali, i got those issues covered.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
simike said:
Cali, you had to bring up the sumpless option again, I had myself convinced I would go sump.... now here comes the sign for the easy road again. lol

Is a sump really worth the extra hassle and cost esp for the fact i have to get a custom sump opp to a 20stockDIY, opposed to a remora and aquaclear refuge mod. nice grammer

You can do a lot in this hobby, or very little.. All the succeseful tank owners I know are very handy, others just pay to get the easy way out.

I would say stay simple if you are not handy with tools and not willing to learn how to use them. Drilling glass and setting up hard plumbing can be challenging and dangers.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
simike said:

I ran my 72 bowfront sumpless for 2 years just using a remora pro and cpr hangonback refugium. Had no problems at all, just depends on what you want to do.

Good luck,
Steven

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think on of the great things about this hobby is that it is hands-on. I like to think of myself as handy, in fact I am trying to change careers from a trader to comstruction management.
I think most people on this site would want to DIY, but most of the time if you dont have the tools available, buying supplies and stuff work out to be as expensive as off the shelf.
My problem now is that i have an apt and limited tools, if not I would build the stand and sump myself. As for drilling the glass, I do have a dremmel but I would rather have one of you guys come out and doit, I might try on a piece of scrap.

Plumbing is concerning a little but I think the GPH pressure on a 30 isnt that great (comp) , plus the support on this site is awesome.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
simike said:

The sump listed on the previous page is almost the size of the 30g cube. The additional water amount alone is a benefit. The skimmer is safely out of the way in the stand. No chance of spillage on your floor there. The sump features a good sized refugium, bigger than any HOB refugium. In the future you will be wanting to keep some more challenging corals which require dosing of some sort. Save up and get a doser and let it dose into the sump. Out of sight. The pros of a sump are endless

Also in a properly constructed tank you dont need checkvalves etc cause the sum will be able to handle the back siphon very easily in case of a power outage.

I personally like not having to worry about such things. Peace of mind.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
heuerfan said:
Yeah kinda reminds me of the huge tunzes in peoples tanks ;)

Thats why they invented closed loops :lol2: Besides hiding a tunze (which is far smaller BTW) is easier that hiding the algae covered box (that requires maintenance BTW), is also easier that hiding the pump and hose for the remora hanging off the back of a tank, is also easier to hide than any equipment hanging off the back of the tank.

Besides, they do make something called stream rocks which completely hidea the streams. Not to mention that its one of the most desired and most kick ass products ever made for our hobby. :Up_to_som And they really are not that big....

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Stream Rocks?? send link curious
Ok i am gonna go with a sump for sure, either nyreefs which i 200 or try to find a cheaper one, It sucks that i cant fit a stock tank inthere, but I knew that.
Any ideas on finding another sump??

that one is sooo sweet.

config for outlet and inlets on tank, and size pump needed?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
IMD%5C150%5CTZ1551.jpg

Marinedepot has them for sale.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
simike said:
Stream Rocks?? send link curious
Ok i am gonna go with a sump for sure, either nyreefs which i 200 or try to find a cheaper one, It sucks that i cant fit a stock tank inthere, but I knew that.
Any ideas on finding another sump??

that one is sooo sweet.

config for outlet and inlets on tank, and size pump needed?

You got to negotiate on that one. It will not be easy finding a sump that was custom made for a 30g cube.

As far plumbing goes, for a tank that size just go with 1" draind and 3/4" return. There are a number of pumps in the 800~900 gph range that will match the drain flow after headloss is calculated. The pump you use will depend on the sump you get. It has to fit in the return section of the sump.

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Found out that NYreef sump is too large to fit into the stand, was made to go outside, hence the blue trim and rounded corners.

Ill have to keep looking, maybe I can just drill it and cap the bulkheads till i find all the parts. Possible??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: