NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Which ever way you go mike, I'd drill the tank instead of using an overflow whenever possible. Much easier, neater, and functional and the low water pressure means a minimal threat of a leak. The question is will you stick around in the hobby, if you do then a sump/refugium is the way to go for increased water volume and nutrient export.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
FIY, here is a pic of a drilled Oceanic 30g with durso. In the tank the only visible plumbing is the elbow with strainer.

Attachments

• 30g.JPG
    30g.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 30g durso.JPG
    30g durso.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 74

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The durso is a connection for the overflows which eliminates the gurgling noise all together. Its god sent to our hobby.

Durso Standpipe

Its very easy to construct yourself. See the website.

The other thing on the inlet is a SCWD. It basically rotates the flow from one side to the other

SCWD Marinedepot

Inside the tank is just an elbow and a strainer.
HTH
Herman

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
External overflow.

www.bad-coffee.com/reef/tank

I'm gonna take a brand new GC tank and cut an overflow in it as well. Cost:
$10 -20 for the extra glass for the outside box.
$40 for a piece of acrylic to cover the back of the tank (so you don't see the overflow box) and to provide teeth. You could skip this and just wait for coraline algea to cover it.
$3 for home depot plumbing parts. (or$10 for a bulkead)
$5 tube of GE type I silicone. (i'm partial to black)

It's really that easy.

B

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
looks good, how hard is it really to cut glass, how often would a tank break. or is it just patience to go slow, my cube glass is thick i think for its size about 5/16-3/8. what tools did you use to cut it.
thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: