simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hello all.
Just purchased a 30 cube, now im looking to go sump or not, drilled or overflow box.
First off, for some reason I am paranoid about a tank overflow, i live in a 6th floor apt. Heard some stories.
Main Concerns:relailibity, noise,

In a overflow box(OFB) if it looses suction wont the return pump continue to pump water from the sump and over flow thw main tank?? Burn out the pump etc..

what are the benefits of the box, the cons aside from astethics?

Lets hear some opinions and stories on this please,
help me calm my fears about an overflow of some sorts, I want to set up the tank right.

also does anyone build overflows or sumps?? Best set-ups

Still Might go without sump to start to keep price down, but would like to have to option later.

Thanks

Last edited:

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I was a skeptic also, but now i am a believer of OFB :)

There are two ways that would cause a flood running an OFB:
1- Lose Siphon, SOLUTION- make sure your sump is setup with baffles so the only a small amout of water from the return area will pump back into the tank. ALSO make sure that you have room in your tank for the amount of water in your return area. You can adjust the height of the OFB and this would help you determine how much water your tank could hold if you lose siphon. Only drawback to this is your return pump will run dry. I rather lose a pump than have a flood :)

2-Power Failure, SOLUTION- make sure you drill a hole in your return outlet, the part that pumps water back into the tank. If you lose power, the return outlet would suck water back down to your sump causing all the water from your tank to go into your sump unless you drill a hole above the outlet. This way it will suck air and break the siphon going down to your sump.

I am currently using Amiracle Overflow Box rated for 600 GPH, make sure your return pump does not exceed the GPH or you will be pusing to much water into your OFB. Lots of people are using CPR Overflow Boxes without a problem but i personally didn't want to have a separate pump running for the OFB.

Hope this helps,
Steven

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
When you setup an over flow box you should make sure if it does lose suction that the amount of water that can be pumped from your sump doesn't over flow the tank. So you want to set the level of the over flow box in your tank low enough so if you lose suction you wouldn't have a flood.

I've been using an over flow box on one of my since 1986 and never had it totally lose it suction. It may lose some but not all of it and has never caused an over flow problem. I have a CPR over flow for about 2 years now and even with the pump it has lost it's suction a couple of times.

As for the noise it never was a problem and actually you heard more noise from the water falling into the sump than from the over flow box.

Space wise the over flow box does take up space behind and inside the tank. So on a smaller tank it maybe better to drill the tank as space is a premium.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I dont see any benefits of overflow boxes. I say drill it!! Its quick painless and easy. There are plenty of people here that will do it. Slamajama can do it and he travels. That is one thing you will not regrett doing!!

Falco

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have been running 2 Amiracle Overflow Boxes on my 135g for about 2 years now with little to know problem. I can't really add to the above because Steven and Marrone are dead on. Just be sure if you go with OFB route that you don't over/under drive the box. Like Steven said the Amiracles are rated for 600gph, if you under drive the box bubbles will form and it will break the siphon.

With that being said, if you can drill the tank I would suggest doing that. I wish I could have but it mine is an inwall unit and I couldn't move it get drill the back.

-Chris

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
herman said:
I dont see any benefits of overflow boxes. I say drill it!! Its quick painless and easy. There are plenty of people here that will do it. Slamajama can do it and he travels. That is one thing you will not regrett doing!!

You have more room, look at those Reef Ready AGA Tanks, those megaflows take up alot of real estate. Unless you do external overflows.

Also, some people already have their tank setup and are unable to take down and drill so an OFB is ideal in order to have a sump.

The truth is you really cannot FLOOD YOUR TANK using an OFB as long as you set it up correctly and have all your checks and balances. Believe me, i cannot afford a flood or else my wife would kill me. So i've done eveything possible to make sure this tank is not going to FLOOD on me.

My 2 cents....

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sorry to play the worst case senario game but...

say i drill it, on the lower backside, cant drill bottom, tempered.

I'd have to be sure that the diy overflow is completly watertight, bc if return pump fails , sump will overflow.
or could you drill it near the waterline of the main tank, skip the whole overflow mod??

Ive seen overflows in the corner, just a 90 degree piece of arcylic, and across the whole back, and some also set up as a all in one(nanocube like)

Ive also heard problems bonding arcylic and glass, under pressure, may fail.
its only a 30 so pressure isnt that great, like a 100+

Give some advice as to the best setup, bulkhead location, overflow design etc..

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
heuerfan said:
Also, some people already have their tank setup and are unable to take down and drill so an OFB is ideal in order to have a sump.

Were not talking about everybody. We are talking about SIMIKE. His tank is still empty. And who said anything about a megaflow overflow? This drilling would just be a clea, hole in the upper back side of the tank. All you would see is a small pipe. sticking out with a strainer.

Sure an overflowbox can be used. Not saying you cant. But given the choice (WHICH HE HAS), he should take the better route. Given the choice, Im sure that most experienced reefers would take a drilled over a non drilled any day.

My $

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
herman said:
Were not talking about everybody. We are talking about SIMIKE. His tank is still empty. And who said anything about a megaflow overflow? This drilling would just be a clea, hole in the upper back side of the tank. All you would see is a small pipe. sticking out with a strainer.

Sure an overflowbox can be used. Not saying you cant. But given the choice (WHICH HE HAS), he should take the better route. Given the choice, Im sure that most experienced reefers would take a drilled over a non drilled any day.

My $

Small pipe sticking out with a strainer means lots of noise, most people would need to set up a durso stand pipe and that requires room. Have you not read the previous post, all these people have been using OFB and have not experienced any problems. And they are experienced reefers :)

Have you ever used an OFB? Believe me, i used to have my doubts and after much studying like i said above, if set up correctly, your not going to flood the tank.

SIMIKE asked for pros/cons, you didn't provide any cons. So i'm not sure where you are basing your information from. Have you ever owned an OFB?

My 2 cents :)

Last edited:

Falco

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
got to thinking and an issue that I had with my OFB which did become a PITA was since most of them are clear and they rest on the top of the tank algea grows in the tubes and boxes quite quickly and that can cause the flow to slow down to the sump. I was able to fix the problem by making a black plastic box that sat on the top of the OFB outside of the water to shield the box from the light but what a PITA that was!!

OFB are great if you don't have any other option but if your tank is empty and you can get at the back I say drill it at the top (one on the right one on the left) and use the PVC elbow/strainer method.

-Chris

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ideally you would go with an external overflow. Looks friggin clean and has all the benefits of a drilled tank. Dave (Spykes) is currently building a 65g and he is adding an external overflow. You might want to shoot him a PM.

Just for reference here is a pic of Dr. Sanjays tank being built with the external overflow. This seems to be the trend lately. Its glass on glass so you dont have any bonding issues.

Also for size reference below is Daves old tank with an external overflow. No plumbing or overflow is visible inside the tank

Attachments

• tankbeingbuilt2.jpg
    tankbeingbuilt2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 142
  • full front.jpg
    full front.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 110
  • Rear Plumbing.jpg
    Rear Plumbing.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 110

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Falco said:
got to thinking and an issue that I had with my OFB which did become a PITA was since most of them are clear and they rest on the top of the tank algea grows in the tubes and boxes quite quickly and that can cause the flow to slow down to the sump. I was able to fix the problem by making a black plastic box that sat on the top of the OFB outside of the water to shield the box from the light but what a PITA that was!!

OFB are great if you don't have any other option but if your tank is empty and you can get at the back I say drill it at the top (one on the right one on the left) and use the PVC elbow/strainer method.

-Chris

Agreed, but nothing a little routine maitinance would fix. I personally don't like the elbo/strainer look inside my tank and rather have a black box :)

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
heuerfan said:
SIMIKE asked for pros/cons, you didn't provide any cons. So i'm not sure where you are basing your information from. Have you ever owned an OFB?

In October I will be in the Saltwater hobby for 20 years. Yes, I have had my share of overflowboxes, seaclones, undergravel filters skilters etc. I also never had a problem with the OFB. But would I ever get rid of my drilled tank for an OFB? NO WAY!!

Mike has a choice on which way to go. Im just giving him the better solution. The pic I posted above shows how the properly drilled tank would look like. It takes just as much space as an OFB. So no pro or con there.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Here is the other option. Simple, clean and no its not loud. There is a thread on this tank on RC - nano section. Sorry cant provide link.

Attachments

• original2.bmp
    800.7 KB · Views: 106

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
herman said:
In October I will be in the Saltwater hobby for 20 years. Yes, I have had my share of overflowboxes, seaclones, undergravel filters skilters etc. I also never had a problem with the OFB. But would I ever get rid of my drilled tank for an OFB? NO WAY!!

Mike has a choice on which way to go. Im just giving him the better solution. The pic I posted above shows how the properly drilled tank would look like. It takes just as much space as an OFB. So no pro or con there.

I agree that drilling is the idea way to go especially if your going to incorporate external overflows. But the post is regarding pros/cons of OFB, not should i go OFB or Drilled? :D

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
As far as sumps go there is the perfect most pimpin sump for sale. You did mention using a remora or urchin and this sump was made for it. Comes with refugium and everything. Its 18"x18"X17"
Sump for sale
I PMed NYreef to comment. Here some pics:

Attachments

• sq sump 1.jpg
    sq sump 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 103
  • sq sump 2.jpg
    sq sump 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: