SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Good news is my wife is really getting into the tank bad news is she found about a 10 inch bristle worm (Well it was long she said) She saw pictures and confirmed its a bristle worm, ill get a pic when i get home and post it

What is the best way to rid my tank of them? I read the worms are bad M'kay (sorry for the South Park Reference!). Am I ok to say I want to get rid of these?

Currently there is nothing my tank except LR, LS, Gary the snail and Timmy the Brittle star

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
people over react to bristle worms. leave it alone. Tell your wife that it won't get out of the tank and choke her out in the middle of the night... she'll be fine.

SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
oonycxwilloo said:
What happen to the anthelia i gave you yesterday? did'nt put it in yet?

Yea thats in too, sorry! I thought it wasnt going to make it but damn what a difference a day makes looks alot better today.

I had a ***** of a time finding a spot for it because the powerheads after about 5 mins would blow it right off the rock but today it looks attached and pretty damn good!

Thanks again man!

here is some pics of it not sure if you can see it or not.

FishTank011.jpg

Last edited:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i would NOT leave that in your tank- please look at this link:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/short.htm

you can also search the forum here for a post on bristle worms I put up a little while ago, they had a couple of more links deanos supplied...

Even if this kind of bristle worm is not 'all' that bad, it really shouldn't get that large...so it might mainly scavange? Whats it going to eat when it gets large enough that the detrius in your tank isn't enough for it? Coral! I went in a two week span to losing all my shroom, over half my zoos, and some other polyps! I could see the 'track' through my zoos that the worm left!

Anyway, read the link and decide if thats the worm you have- good luck getting it out if it is, they can be really quick! I got really lucky and grabbed mine w/ a pair of long nose tweezers before it knew what was happening!

I think what it comes down to is that kind is bad - Hermodice carunculata. It will eat things in your tank and can get large (I just pulled what I believe to be one that was probably 8" long and as thick as my thumb out of my 16g! I think it is what has destroyed my zoo population and shroom colonies). The other kinds can be very beneficial and you shouldn't worry about them...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: