Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
this is the deal w/ TBS rock. I love it. You have to like a 'natural' looking tank though, as the rock you will get will have very little die off and will have lots of macro algae, sponges, HHs, bad HHs, etc. for a long time.

The rock, if you buy the 'package' works out to about $5 or less a pound- not bad since that includes all the cleanup crew and sand and 'extras' they throw in! You do have to pick up at laguardia airport though- since they ship in water its lot of weight and the cheapest method of shipping is air freight.

Total time from harvest to pickup at laguardia for me- less than 8 hours!

Bad stuff- w/ that large of a tank you WILL get bad hitch hikers!!!! No doubt on this, unless you rinse in fresh water or something (which will kill off all sponges, cause your tank to cycle more, etc.) or can quarantine your rock for a while to see what you have on it. 10 months later I am still finding new hitch hikers! I happen to love natural looking tanks, but I do hate the mantis that is killing my nice fish that I get! He will be hard enough to get out of my 16g, having multiple mantis' in a 120+ gallon will be a real :banghead:!!!

The rock is more dense than fiji, but much much less dense than tonga...I really have no problem when it comes to this, plenty of caves, etc for me!

Bottom line- don't get this for 100% of your LR if you don't plan on spending a long time getting bad pests out. If you want a natural looking tank, get some - catch the bad HHs, then use it to seed the rest of that tank.

This rock would be perfect as its own little biotope though- I have lots of random corals even that are still growing on it. I have no macro algae 'problems' now that I've been trimming it and as my 'pods population has gotten large they are keeping down algae problems- but if I didnt' make a big effort in the beginning to keep the macro from overrunning the tank, I would still have a ton of it today!

Lots to think about w/ this kind of rock- I will use my current rock and sand in all my future tanks- to seed them w/ the micro life I love to see in a tank...if you are just into the looks of the coral and coraline covered rocks then just get cured Fiji and save yourself a ton of trouble.

Ask me any questions you want about TBS rock! (well I will not be around so much the next 10days- I'm on vacation- so I might be a little delayed in a response!)

Last edited:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Watever just buy it.

Sorry! I'm a huge information junky! Just hate having to do things over again!

When you guys say
, is this literal? Are you refering to the weight or is it really concrete? Web site said it was excavated coral.

I would prefer a natural looking tank. Unless coraline algae benefits the tank overall, I don't care if my rocks turn purple :) I also would like to be as environmentally aware as possible. As a newbie, I know that I will make mistakes and probably kill things. I would like to do this with as little guilt as possible.:happysad:

As far as being in a hurry...I just think the idea of a tank that has a less sever cycle makes more sense than a tank with severe amonia spikes. I'm not a chem major, but it just feels right.:inlove:

Bottom line- don't get this for 100% of your LR if you don't plan on spending a long time getting bad pests out. If you want a natural looking tank, get some - catch the bad HHs, then use it to seed the rest of that tank.

This was my original intent when I ordered my tank. Thanks for the confirmation. I am going to start with base and then add the TBS later. Can you guys advise me which tank threads use mixed rock? I kind of want to see what different types of rock mixed together is going to look like.

You guys have been really great and patient. Hopefully I will someday have something more interesting to contribute than ????????'s.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
we dont mean concrete as in actually man made concrete rock. What we do mean is that its SO DENSE and heavy its not porous and the rock is not great looking its just a slab of rock you can like find that outside.

However you go about buying rock there will be a cycle and there will be a period if time you will have to wait so DO NOT RUSH it. Hobby takes a lot of effort and time some thing you can not rush.

I highly recommend buying Dr Fosters premium fiji. Or walt smith. It will save you a lot of money you can spend elsewhere. Anyhow good luck. ( I dont recommend tbs ). Start with FIJI rock or marshal Island, you'll be happy you did.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You can put cured cinderblock in your tank and in time it will grow coraline algae. The point isn't coraline it's that afterwork you will have to do with HHr's and the added expense of shipping rock and the density of the rock. Like Masterswimmer said their rock is heavier than other rock so you get more lbs with less rock and there are much nicer "designs" on the market.

I hope that makes sense.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i agree- i think the aquacultured LR is as dense as you'd want to go (unless you want branches of tonga rock)...

fiji rock is much nicer on the eyes- even though my TBS rock is great, I would love it to look like premium fiji!

if only there was a supplier that shipped freshly harvested fiji rock in water uncured rock to laguardia airport...if I had the money I would pay a huge $$$ premium for that stuff!!!

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wouldn't rock that is more dense be better for keeping down nitrates? I imagine that porous rock would eventually just become a nitrate factory.

Steven

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jazzy171 said:
Wouldn't rock that is more dense be better for keeping down nitrates? I imagine that porous rock would eventually just become a nitrate factory.

Steven

Actually, the more porous the rock is, the more surface area there is for the denitrifying bacteria to colonize. Also, mo' flow. Helps to keep detritus in suspension and get carried away to your skimmer and mechanical filtration.

swimmer

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I only thought of rock as a nitrate factory today. When I started pulling the rock out for the move, I couldn't believe the amount of crap falling out of the rock. This is from a tank that's barely stocked and only 5 months old.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yea but the life on (in) the rock is amazing... what i do once a week if i have time ill take a turkey baster stick the baster in the holes of the rocks and blow out the dietrus or wateva is in there... it helps 2 things... u already no 1 of the things it helps..... :Up_to_som :Up_to_som :Up_to_som

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: