Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Is a titanium grounding probe a "must have" or is it just something to appease paranoia?

I currently have all electric items setup with a drip loop. Should I take the extra precaution of a ground probe?

Should it be in the main tank, or the sump, or both?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yes a ground is always a good thing to have especially for you and ur fishies.... ill put it to u this way.. wat would happen if something in the water is faulty like ur heater and its leaking stray voltage into ur tank... u put ur hand in the water and zzzzzzzzzz.... ouch..

u can put it in the sump...

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
tip: put in spot where the water level stays the same and only submerge the probe part in water.
i also have a qusetion:
how do i know if my probe is working w/o throwing a plugged toaster in my tank?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
it does work... doesnt it get plugged into ummm something...

Disclaimer - do not throw plugged in, kitchen appliances into your tanks (actually anything that is plugged in and does not belong in ur tank) lmao

you can try :Blurp: :Blurp: :Blurp: :joke:

Last edited:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
You can take a regular volt meter and test it. ground one side, then touch the other probe to the water. You'll see how much stray current there is in the water.

Use a grounding probe.

B

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Warren, I've heard those arguements also. The 'plugged into a gfci' arguement is ridiculous though. On a grounding probe the 'hot' and 'neutral' prongs are both rubber. So technically the grounding probe being plugged into the gfci outlet would never detect any stray voltage and trip.

The purpose of the grounding probe is to direct whatever stray voltage there might be in the tank to the house ground. If you don't use a g probe then putting your hand in the tank completes the circuit and you become the ground. Providing of course you aren't wearing rubber soled shoes.

I believe ground probes are useful.

swimmer

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My thoughts on the "completeing the circuit"

Every live body creates electrical current. However how small, there's still current through your body. Since the circut is naturally completed in your body, you have both + and - poles (simplified)

Adding current to the water, you're going to feel it. Even if it's just a tiny bit, you'll 'ground' teh current. Same goes for your inhabatants. However small they are, they're 'gounding out' the stray current.

WHen you put a probe in your tank, the current will take the path of least restance- straight through the salt water. Going through a body of an animal is extra resistance that current won't natrually follow. So I use agrounding probe.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: