hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I just recently acquired a 55g tank (thanks yesjenks!) and want to move my current FOWLR from my 90g into it.

Before rushing into it, I want to plan as much as I can to avoid any disaster.

I have enough experience with FOWLR and know enough to keep them healthy but I have no experience with Reef tanks and any advice would be most welcomed.

For the 55g, my thoughts are to add power heads (2x) to its current under gravel filter and to add a canister filter for mechanical and chemical filtration. I have about 3 inches of sand/coral that I am thinking of moving to the 55g from the 90g and then adding only live sand to the new Reef 90g. Is this a good idea? I also have about 120 pounds of live rock of which I want to move about 80 pounds into this new tank. I also thought it would be a good idea to move about 40g of water into the new tank. I have a RO filter at home so adding fresh saltwater isn?t difficult.

For the new Reef 90g setup, I would like a mixture of corals and fish. Since it will be my first time, I want to keep it basic and moderate upkeep (nothing too advance!) I want to convert the current wet/dry sump into something usable for a reef. I know I have to remove the bio-balls but beyond that I am confused. I have determined that I should use micro filter socks and a refugium but I don?t know if this is exactly right or how? Do I have to create or modify the sump in any way? I also understand that waterflow is important, is slow or faster the way to go? I am also keeping a Corallife Super HOB Protein Skimmer on this tank.

As far as fish, I have a Lionfish, Tomato Clown, Picasso Trigger, Porcupine Puffer and Chainlink Moray that will be going into the new 55g. I want to keep the Potters Angel and Melanurus Wrasse in the new 90g Reef if I can. How can I minimize stress on these fish? Also, I am thinking that the potters and wrasse are going to have to be moved twice since I have to work on both tanks individually.

Any advice or previous experience is very welcomed.

Thanks for reading!

Hector

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hector, That is a huge bioload for a 55g tank. Not recommended IMO

Undergravel filters are a thing of the past. As far as I know, there is only one reefer on MR that uses an undergravel filter and his tank is 40+ years old. He's got the local record :)

Before purchasing and setting up any equipment I HIGHLY recommend reading and researching much more. We can certainly help, but you'll be able to find all the info you'll need by using the search function here on MR.

Russ

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Russ,

Thanks for the advice. I may have to rethink the plans and make the 55g the reef tank then.

In that case, what should i do about filtration? 10g tank underneath as a refugium and a protein skimmer?

Can i move some of the current substrate and rock into the new tank to get it started?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hector, I'm glad to hear you say that, kudos.

First, I'd much rather use the 90g as the reef tank. You'll really appreciate the larger 48"x18" footprint over the 55g footprint of 48"x13". MUCH easier to work your aquascaping.

Second, all the filtration you need for a reef tank is live rock and a protein skimmer. That's it, done.

Third, a refugium is definitely beneficial, but not required.

Fourth, I wouldn't recommend moving a sandbed from one tank to another. The deepest part of a sandbed is anaerobic (lacking oxygen) and builds up nasty gases. In addition, I suggest using a finer grain sand than crushed coral. Sand sifting critters (certain wrasse, starfish, gobies, cucumbers, etc) will get torn up with a large grain sandbed.

Russ

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
:wow: thats really interesting and brings more options :-D

So basically I can move my wet/dry to the 55g and still make that the FOWLR. How much do you suggest I downgrade my bioload for the tank? Is it that they are messy eaters?

If I am going to switch to sand for the 90g, is there a way for me to use the current crushed coral for the 55g? Maybe just taking the top half of the layer? It seems like a big waste not to use it.

On the 90g, I can keep the live rock and protein skimmer for the reef setup and maybe add a refugium or a sump to supplement the filtration.

Thanks, I really didn't consider this setup.

:cheers:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
DITTO on the bioload!

Talk to PaulB concerning the UGF.;)

That was 20 years ago! Much has changed since.;)

Many different ways of running a reef. You would be very surprised on what works for some yet not for others. If you have the time may I suggest you read up on some of the tank thread here.

You can wash thoroughly the sand/crushed coral if you want. But understand that this will be just like adding new substrate, it will not have any life in it for a while.
Which fish you will move to the 55 will depend mainly on their size. For instance the lion fish if small I don't really see a problem, but if he is large a 55 will be cramped quarters for him.
For the reef I would just use LR, Skimmer, sump just to have a place for equipment, and to make dosing & water changes easier.;)

Last edited:

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
If you have the time may I suggest you read up on some of the tank thread here.

I have read a lot but there is so much information and different ways to do it that I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

FOWLR is easy because all i really have to remember is water changes, change filter media and test water. If nutrients are high, reduce feedings and more frequent WC.

Reef seems like such a different animal and a lot more to worry about so I want to have as much as the basics covered with a decent initial setup.

The other point is that i have a limited budget and want a simple setup. People have Socks, Refuges, RO/DI, Dosing, Skimmers worth more than my tanks, etc...

I'm not looking for short cuts but i thought by putting up certain criteria I could filter out what works and doesn't. So far, thank you all for your input because the thread has definitely helped me.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I have read a lot but there is so much information and different ways to do it that I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

FOWLR is easy because all i really have to remember is water changes, change filter media and test water. If nutrients are high, reduce feedings and more frequent WC.

Reef seems like such a different animal and a lot more to worry about so I want to have as much as the basics covered with a decent initial setup.

The other point is that i have a limited budget and want a simple setup. People have Socks, Refuges, RO/DI, Dosing, Skimmers worth more than my tanks, etc...

I'm not looking for short cuts but i thought by putting up certain criteria I could filter out what works and doesn't. So far, thank you all for your input because the thread has definitely helped me.

I hear you loud, and clear!;) My funds are EXTREMELY limited. Our reef depends on hubby's retirement check, and my maintenance.LOL I keep my system very basic, and have been told by the few that have come out that my tank is very pretty.
I would HIGHLY recommend that the first piece of equipment you purchase be the RO/DI. I ran my tanks without one for 15 out of the 20 years that I have been in this hobby. Tap water was ok for the fish only tank, but not for anything else. Five years ago I was finally talked into getting one, and life has change big time.. I am now able to keep a mixed reef. My pictures do my reef no justice. I can't get a decent pic of it.
Next piece I'd recommend is some decent power heads (I use Koralias-I can't afford the Vortech).
Next good heaters, and some sort of controller to keep them from frying/boiling your fish. Happened to me.:( Ranco controllers are inexpensive. I am currently using an RK2 I bought used here.
Since you intend to keep corals you'll need good lighting. I ran VHO, then MH w/VHO, then MH w/PC, and now LEDs. I loved the MH w/VHO the best unfortunately the replacement bulbs, and electric bill was to much for our income. I bit the bullet, and got some inexpensive LEDs from one of our vendors here (Wingo). I like them very much.;)
You might want to get a good skimmer. These as well as lighting is debatable as to manufacturer, size, and pricing. Again I have gone the not so expensive, but yet works just fine for my tank.
Fuge is another that is controversial, some insist on it, others do not. I don't!
All, or most of the equipment you can find here in our "For Sales" forum for incredible savings. But you have to be careful. Check peoples ratings before you do business with them. As well as do some research on whatever it is that is being sold.;)
Like Russ, I would do the reef in the 90.;)

If you ever have the inclination to come out to my neck of the woods you're more then welcome to check out my system.

Best of wishes with your new experience.

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I would HIGHLY recommend that the first piece of equipment you purchase be the RO/DI.

I actually have one at home that we use for our water use. Is that the same as what I would use for a tank? It is only used for weekly water changes?

If you ever have the inclination to come out to my neck of the woods you're more then welcome to check out my system.

I grew up in Queens (Elmhurst) and went to school at Hofstra so I am constantly on the right side of Manhattan. One of my favorite eats is Rockaway Taco on 95th Street.

I am definitely taking you up on the invite! Thanks.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I actually have one at home that we use for our water use. Is that the same as what I would use for a tank? It is only used for weekly water changes?
Are you sure it's an RO/DI? And not just an RO. You will be using the ro/di water for water changes, and top off.

I grew up in Queens (Elmhurst) and went to school at Hofstra so I am constantly on the right side of Manhattan. One of my favorite eats is Rockaway Taco on 95th Street.

I am definitely taking you up on the invite! Thanks.

I'm not in Manhattan. I am in Queens, Far Rockaway to be exact, 15 minutes or so from JFK airport.;)

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Well, I am really excited about all the feedback and it's becoming an OCD project for me.

So I am moving my current sump from the 90g to the 55g. It's too big for the stand so I will build out the floor of the stand so that the sump will stay level through the back.

I also want to drill out the 55g so I dont have to use the overflow. I've seen the typical plans for drilling back of tanks but I really like drilling the bottom. I am thinking one center 2" for flow into the sump and two 1" for the intake back into the tank. Each will have PVC tubes up to an inch below water level. I then can then hide the pipes with rock and pond foam.

Does anyone have any past experience / advice? Is it just preference or is one way better?

On the 90g, i am going to replace the crushed coral with sand, keep all my live rock in the tank and keep the Protein Skimmer, currently HOB. Eventually i will add the sump so I can house the skimmer and other necessary items.

Should I drill the 90g even though I wont have the sump setup? I guess for a Reef, drilling on the back seems less intrusive.

Thanks for reading my longwinded post.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Have you ever drilled a tank before? Beware, you can't drill tempered glass. If you're thinking of drilling the bottom glass you need to find out if it is tempered. Most 4' long tank bottoms are tempered.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: