chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my last tank had a leak dont know why. but can use help so it wont happen again. i can do with out a tank im addicted to it. may stay at 125 gallon or bigger at 180 gallon.

1 - can to much sand or rock make me leak
2 - can i put more silacon outside
3 - any tips i can get will help
4 - what is the best brand does it matter.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Most tank manufacturers want you to put 3/4 inch styrofoam under the bottom panel to help with support, I never did because the only tank I had was an AGA that had an open top stand so there was no way to do it anyway. I have the RSM250 now and they build it to where you dont need to do anything like that either but its again a 65G. If you go with a 120 or 180 I would say DEFINATELY spend the 10 bucks on some foam and then not need to worry about the bottom panel having proper support.

And no new silicon will not stick to already cured silicon. If you buy a professionally made tank the silicon used is the correct amount. Just visually inspect the tank for excessive bubbles in the silicon beads which is usually a great gauge of build quality.

If they take the time to make really nice beads it means the company puts a good amount of attention to detail.

Good luck.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You should not have to do anything to a tank to make sure it will not leak.

You should do a 'water test' on a tank when you are setting it up - by filling it entirely with tap water(no rocks, sand or anything else) and making sure there are no leaks. Then drain it, dry it and get to work setting up your reef. This should be done especially if you are buying a used tank. It's also not a bad idea to do it once all of the plumbing & sump is in place.

You cannot add silicone to the edges of a tank as silicone will NOT stick to silicone (and I am sure it would look awful to boot).

Unless you fill a tank entirely - top to bottom & side to side - with rock, there is no reason to be concerned about the weight of the rock or sand you add.

You also want to make sure the tank is completely level - front to back AND side to side and that it sits properly on the stand with no gaps.

There was obviously something worng with the last tank you set up if it was leaking.. the water test should always be done :)

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The whole putting styrofoam under the tank is a myth and most manufacturers will void the warranty or replacement if they find out it was used. Any tank is hit or miss with a leak, some tanks will hold up for years while others will fail. Sometimes even within a year. I have had tanks running for 14 years with water in them and had one that was 3 years old leak. Tanks are like anything else, sometimes you just get a bad apple.

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Yeah fixing a leak won't do any good. You would have to empty the tank and have a pro redo the whole seem its less headache to do a tank swap .
Water waight more then rock ,so I think more rock is better

chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not have to do anything to a tank to make sure it will not leak.

You should do a 'water test' on a tank when you are setting it up - by filling it entirely with tap water(no rocks, sand or anything else) and making sure there are no leaks. Then drain it, dry it and get to work setting up your reef. This should be done especially if you are buying a used tank. It's also not a bad idea to do it once all of the plumbing & sump is in place.

You cannot add silicone to the edges of a tank as silicone will NOT stick to silicone (and I am sure it would look awful to boot).

Unless you fill a tank entirely - top to bottom & side to side - with rock, there is no reason to be concerned about the weight of the rock or sand you add.

You also want to make sure the tank is completely level - front to back AND side to side and that it sits properly on the stand with no gaps.

There was obviously something worng with the last tank you set up if it was leaking.. the water test should always be done :)

i did do a water test it was goin for 10 months. befor the leak i just add 20 pound more of sand and 10 pound of rock.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
i did do a water test it was goin for 10 months. befor the leak i just add 20 pound more of sand and 10 pound of rock.

Good for you!
But sometimes it just happens when tanks get older..unfortunately. I will assume it was a used tank, as new tanks do have a warranty period and at 10 months your tank would have still been covered (unless the leak was due to user error).

..oh and an insurance is also nice to have, especially if you have downstairs neighbors. :)

Did you have a slow leak or a sudden flood with the tank?

chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you!
But sometimes it just happens when tanks get older..unfortunately. I will assume it was a used tank, as new tanks do have a warranty period and at 10 months your tank would have still been covered (unless the leak was due to user error).

..oh and an insurance is also nice to have, especially if you have downstairs neighbors. :)

Did you have a slow leak or a sudden flood with the tank?

yes it was new but i cant find the mean receipt. so i was told to send all i had and they would see if or what they can do.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: