michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Do people usually drill a small hole in their sump return in the overflow box to stop a siphon if their pump stops for whatever reason? I'm thinking of drilling a very small hole in the sump return pipe a bit below the water line... then if the pump stops, the overflow box will drain down to below that hole and exposing it to air and break the siphon.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
michaelp said:
Do people usually drill a small hole in their sump return in the overflow box to stop a siphon if their pump stops for whatever reason? I'm thinking of drilling a very small hole in the sump return pipe a bit below the water line... then if the pump stops, the overflow box will drain down to below that hole and exposing it to air and break the siphon.

Mike ,
you have an over flow box ,once the pump stops ,the water will drain only
the very bottom of the teeth on the over flow box ,,,

what you can do is ,just stop the pump and see how far it down it drains ,i dont think youll have a prob,,se how far it drains from the tank and how much it fills up it the sump!

Ronen

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Right, the overflow box is fine, but I put attached the Loc tubing to the return and that goes into the main tank and is underwater... I took a picture.

aqsiphon.jpg

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I would put a small hole on one of the Locline pieces, don't waste the flow from the pump by dumping in the overflow box.

Who built the tank??

I suggest enlarging the slits on the black acrylic overflow if you can, the current slits looks too small.

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
glasscages built the tank. The black piece is is not connected to the glass overflow box (i.e. it can be removed). There is some concern that the small amount of water between it and the glass would become a dead zone with no water movement.. dunno how worried I should be about that.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Mike ,

on the return line drill a smalll on the bottom bend of the elbow you should be fine then .that will break the siphone immeditly

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I drilled my threaded locline fittings. The place between the two hexagons (that you put the wrench on) is perfect. I just made sure I drilled what would be towards the back of the tank. I use a 1/8" bit btw.

B

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
Mike ,

on the return line drill a smalll on the bottom bend of the elbow you should be fine then .that will break the siphone immeditly
correct, and you heard it from the expert.
if you drill it where you circled, i dont know if that would help because the end of your locline will still be underwater. drill it up by the elbow where you know it will be exposed to air ASAP>

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
:wink1:
beefbroccoli said:
just wondering if a check valve in the return line will help in this case.

Adding more fittings will reduce the flow of the pump :wink1:
plus with a overflow box ,and a siphone hole he will be fine :wink1:

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I agree with DeepWater. I had check valves on my first setup and it really reduced the flow. I drilled a hole on the lockline itself and it breaks the siphone everytime. Make sure the hole is above the waterline and you should be fine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: