oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey guys...My girlfriend has a 20g tank for like probably a year already...i'm giving her a 29g tank. So basically she is upgrading. My question is...

Can she just throw everything she has in there incuding rocks, sand and Live stocks in there right away....

I remember seeing somewhere that if you mess with the sand...if the 2 layers mix then it leads to a tank crash then the rotten egg smell is present... so should she buy new sand and stuff?

If she could throw everything in there will she have to wait for everything to cycle...(at least for a day) before livestock goes back in there?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I would put new sand in there and then everything else for the old tank including the water. Then top off with some new water Start early make sure you have enough containers and make sure the last things added are the livestock. make sure you acclimate them properly too.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
also take the cup off the top layer of sand and seed the new samd with it

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Seed the sand like Deep said and if you keep all of the rock in water the whole time you are doing the switch you should have no problem if you don't rush and make sure the water params are the same.

I upgraded from a 29 to a 55 in 1 day I only lost 1 fish and that was because I was an idiot and didn't acclimate her right.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
oonycxwilloo said:
so you guys are saying she can put in the Live stocks in the same day and the tank would be cycled?

you would have to make sure that all para are the same ,temp ,alk ,salt level.ph and so on

oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
hey now...its my question....ahahah i doubt it but..tommorw i'm buying a 72g bowfront from kuyamark with the skimmers,sump,return pump etc....can i switch like that too?? its from 29 ----> 72...doubt it right?? but i also have a fuge on the 29 right now would taht matter?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Buy live sand for her tank as well add that to the reg sand and the cup of seed sand and you will be inbetter shape I would say.

29 to a 72 could be done if done right. Gonna take a whole day and alot of patience. You may just want to start new on the 72 tho.

Breezp

Reef Geek
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
you can use a little bit of the old sand but i wouldnt use much, when me and drenalyn9 redid my 45 we threw out all of the old sand and we used brand new sand... so u can go either ways, but if u do use the old sand i wouldnt use too much... just enuff for bacteria...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: