Zoous

Real Estate and Reefs
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I recently tested my water and found that my alk was about 5 dKH and my calcium 600 ppm. IS this possible??? What would be the best way to handle this situation. By the way, I use two part E.S.V. B-Ionic.

What should I do?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
keep dosing the alk to get it higher and dont dose any calcium... wait for that 2 drop on its own and when everything is in norm. range then u can start dosing both equally at the same time...

have u checked ur magnesium levels as well.....

Last edited:

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
Same problem here. I use oceanic salt, calcium through the roof. I dose with baking soda daily and it keeps the ALK around 7 and the ph at 8.2-8.4. Calcium stays around 450-500, but I can live with that.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yessongs i ran into the same problem my but with an ok alk like 8-9 and my calcium at 550-600... im letting the tank use up the calcium until i get it to were i want it to be then im going to start dosing equally... of both..

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
when i say equally i mean if i dose 30 ml of alk i dose 30 ml of cal...

IMO, that can cause problems. If you have a lot of LPS, SPS, clams most likely you will have to dose more Ca.
I think its better to dose according, thats why we test for both.
JMO.

Its only advice, you have to find what works best for your system.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
keep dosing the alk to get it higher and dont dose any calcium... wait for that 2 drop on its own and when everything is in norm. range then u can start dosing both equally at the same time...

have u checked ur magnesium levels as well.....

thankyou alhra... thats why i mentioned this up above to get everything in balance and check his magnesium as well.. cause mag. has an affect in keeping things in balance...

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
"thankyou alhra... thats why i mentioned this up above to get everything in balance and check his magnesium as well.. cause mag. has an affect in keeping things in balance..."

I've been using B-Ionic for a few years. there are a few things that can throw the balance off.
I had a talk with the owner of ESV telling him i have to dose less Ca, his reply. what ever works. BTW, we were both drunk at the time.

I think a water change, then get your balance where you want it and try equal amounts of B-Ionic.
Keep on testing you might have to adjust your dosage. Or change from a two part ionic product.

Like i said "Its only advice, you have to find what works best for your system"

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My calcium was around 600, snails rock corals ect all suck up calcium , your only over dosing when you get a white cloudy film,even though 400 ppm is optimal range for natural sea water but being to high wont kill anything as long as theres stuff in your tank that will suck up the calcium, when your alk is stabalized your Golden..I stoped dosing when my calcium was at 600 , wrong thing to do, evrything was doing fine untill then , but i read to much , and listened to too many peoples advice, purpline alage stoped growing and i lost 2 corals , started back the original way corals never looked that good it took a couple of months for my calcium to come down, but when it did my alk was nearlly perfect range also, they go hand in hand,if your losing corals do a water change...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: