Rating - 100%
64   0   0
when dealing with live rock i where the reg. non powdered gloves with a rubber band up around my wrist to seal the glove other then that my hand is in the tank... as wat was stated above by ming a good rinse before and after is def. what is needed... i would not do without that...

those gloves that madhouse posted are good but there too big and hard to work in for me but thats just me...

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I live on the edge and like herman do not use gloves.:smokin:
but if I have a cut on my hand or arm will wait to stick
my hands in the tank.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Same as Jhale. I examine my hands before I put them in and examine them when I take them out. I take care of any cuts immediately and \never put my hands in the tank if it's a fresh wound. I would just wait a day or two. It's not gonna kill ya if you don't, but I know its seriously risky not to. I highly recommend you use them though. I've been trying to put my hands in my tank least often as possible lately.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I used to wear the gloves pictured above. Two things wrong with them. When working in the tank, most of the time you need the ability to 'feel' what you're doing. Those gloves are like wearing kevlar. You can't feel a thing.

Secondly, the seam between the blue and the orange has a marked tendency to leak. I had 2 or 3 pair, years ago. Each one sprung a leak on that seam.

It's been years now that I no longer wear the gloves. So I'm on the edge like Herm and Jon. :biggrin:

I do make sure I was up both before and after 'diving in'.

swimmer

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used gloves to work in the tank. However recently I have been getting reactions on my skin. I had seen on RC some one posted the question and a lot of people get a rash on their skin because of the chemicals in the water.

Also it was recently discovered that your fish tank is a Salmonella breeding ground.

read this from the nytimes.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/18/h...205d922ab2e04e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Greg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: