oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
hey guys...i have a 29g that has about 50lb of LR and 20lb of LR and is established like a little bit more than 2 months. I'm getting a 72g bowfront today..... i'm planning to cycle it from the beginning...

My question is....
1) if i put all the LR that i have in the 29g to the 72g will the livestocks in my 29 survive...
2) will the fact that i'm taking all the live rock in the 29g and transfering it to the 72g shock my 29g?
3) If i transfer all the rocks will the cycled for the 72g be much shorter or the same thing?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
When done properly, it should be OK.

The ratio of putting 50lb rocks somewhat established into 72G tank will shorten the cycle in your 72G and you may not even see spikes if done carefully and properly.

If the two tanks are near and at same water level, I think you can switch the mode of the 29 or (the 72G in the mean time) into a sump by hooking a closed loop of water system and cycle the 72G while the 29g is still untouched. By the time all water, bacteria and such migrated to the 72G you can simply move the rocks over and then live stock over. The live stock should not have much problem with the water chemistry in either tank. Of course, I am assuming nothing dying in the 72G, you know hwo to make the water PH, and other parameter same as the 29G before start the the pump for the close loop.

Last edited:

oonycxwilloo

Vendor
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
you know hwo to make the water PH, and other parameter same as the 29G before start the the pump for the close loop.

i actually dont know....well how do i make the 29 or the 72 into a sump for the mean time w/ the 29g untouched? dont i have to set up the return and everything? If you can wingo...pm your your contact info maybe you can help me out through the phone

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: