Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is red slime it comes off easily and seems to be growing at a rapid rate , my emerald seems to pick at it but not enough to rid it and its starting to worry me I need help plz. I have it in a lusty bright red and a dark royal purple both color slime on different rocks any advice to destroy this would be great. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1354245604.753976.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1354245604.753976.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 253
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1354245617.979434.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1354245617.979434.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 241

Qnsnyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I had the same problem and was told its actually a bacteria. The way to get rid of it is either treat with a chemical or do what I was told to do. The guys form Route 4 told me that it is caused from a lack of water circulation. I got rid of it within 10 days. I added a powerhead, siphoned during waterchange and moved rocks around to get better flow around tank.

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response but I find it hard to believe I have bad circulation and this is why but I could of course be wrong. I have 2 power heads one moving 425gph and one nano cube moving 250gph in a 20 gallon long. I also have a 350 dual marine land filter moving water and supplying oxygen exchange from the 2 water falls that the filter produces. I have recently changed the angle of the powerheads because it seems to much flow was faces towards the from of the tank (the water falls supply adequate flow to from of tank) you think this is enough circulation? Maybe changing the direction of the powerhead will be a good idea? At the moment I have one faced behind my live rock pushing water through tunnels and canals while the other faces up to break the water plain. What Do you think

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You can add a sea hare (they had them at Maximum Reef Aquariums last time I was there) They are ugly as sin, but they will take care of it right away.

Cyanobacteria ("slime algae") is common in newly set up tanks. It also can take hold if you add a lot of bio-load too quickly and your tank has not had a chance to "catch up". Circulation helps, so does nutrient export. Are you using a filter sock and swapping it out at least once a week? Do you have a skimmer?

Alfred

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Siphon just cyano out. Lowering your phosphate will help. Run GFO in reactor. Add bacteria form bottle that most pet places sell. It should go away in two weeks. Keep siphon it out you will see less and less as time goes by.Too much nutrients in tank and not enough bacteria. Your system needs good bacteria to balance out bad bacteria which is cyano. Red slime

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What are your water parameters? The reason you have cyano is because something isn't in check. The best way to get rid of it is to get everything back in line by running carbon, increase water flow and do several smaller water changes over the next few weeks. Test your water and if you are dosing anything only dose what is needed.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
If all else fails red slime remover helped me out big time. My fish and corals were not stressed at all. Just shut your skimmer off. It will be back to normal in 3 days or so.

Hope that helps you

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I won't do water change just remove the cyano. It's a bacteria thing your water parameters might be high on phosphate but you need to establish good form of bacteria on live rock and sand. Also bacteria in water itself. That's why doing water change would delay it from going away. Add some bacteria will help get rid of cyano. Trust me. It will take a few weeks but it will slowly disappear.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It has nothing to do with bacteria in the water. The water has very little bacteria, where the bacteria needs to grow is in the rock and sand.

Doing water changes will export nutrients (phosphates, Dissolved organics, etc.)

Adding bottled bacteria products doesn't do much, you already have more than enough bacteria in the system it just needs a chance to grow to accommodate increased nutrients. BUT- You need to export nutrients properly and not allow them to settle, thus the need for good circulation.

Best,

Alfred

Vibemyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for all your responses but it seems this is normal. I have been running my reef since September so it is still in its young stages which a cyano outbreak is common according to my LFS (their pretty knowledgable) but anyhow, no I do not run a slimmer unfortunately things got tight before I could afford to get one ( I know I should invest) my circulation is great I believe and my params were fine the only thing that is slightly off is my ph (just started buffing my ro/do water before changes) but all in all my solution was simple. All I did was add a product called slimeX and followed that with a water change while syphoning any left over cyano and all was clear that evening! Stuff works great and didn't seem to stress my corals out at all. Thanks again!

guri

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Add phosban and activated carbon good skimmer thats all and if u increase circulation it will grow on other parts if u use red slime remover it will come back if u use those things i said cayno will go away for a while u have to improve ur biological foltration

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cyanobacteria is a group of Photosynthetic Bacteria. Photosynthetic Bacteria found having chlorophyll and phycobilins once thought to be blue and green algae. Cyanobacteria needs nurtients to grow like light. Alfredo is not only in new tanks it can happen. It has everything to do with bacteria that getting or already establish in our system. That is why there call it Cyanobacteria. Their is all kinds of bacteria that we can't measure. Adding other bacteria counter reacts cyano which helps it goes away. So it has everything to do with Bacteria because it is a Bacteria to start with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: