frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello was wondering what refugium you all like. As for me was thinking off micro algae refugium. Hear of algae scrubber, one author of my book the new marine aquarium by Michael Palletta uses the Ecostystem mud medo www.Ecostystemaquarium.com what do you all think off it. Also looking for a refugium to control nitrates and phosphate any comments advice. thanks

Sent from my PG86100 using Reefs

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to use an algae for nutrient control, I'd stick to something more desirable like macroalgae than using a scrubber.

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys what kind of refugium? Like some ideas, looking microalgae refugium something to help with ph nitrates also a popular one. I see they have a mud refugium like micheal s palletta uses ecosystem. Can't decide any help please.

stevemason

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
dude these guys are trying to tell you how to build your own... take it from the experienced guys on this site, they are only looking out for your (tank mostly) best interest. being how this hobby will cost you 3 times what you figure it out to be, there are certain ways to save money with a little insight from experienced reefers. u can spend 300,400 up to 1000 or more for a sump/ fuge. however if you take the basic principles out of what the more expensive systems offer you can custom build one for a fraction of the money. basically what you need is to first figure out how much room you have (where is fuge going? is it going under your tank in stand or is is it free standing next to your display tank? typically you want a sump/ fuge to be 1/3 your water volume minimum. i have a 75g for a 155dt. then your best bet would be 3 sections and a bubble trap. one section for your return pump, one for fuge, and one for drain and equipment then google a bubble trap if u dont know what it is. for me it cost 60 bucks for a used tank and 29 to have a local glass shop cut me 4 pieces of glass. it came out mint, and believe me when i tell u if i did it anyone can!!! and as far as algae is concerned... you want to use different types to maximize benefit also utilize live rock rubble. hope it helps, and try to keep in mind what was taught to me... the sump/fuge are the true lifelines of your tank... the bigger the better

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: