SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Whats up.. New to this forum just collecting information to start a fish/reef tank ..I had saltwater fish years ago but lost everything in nyc blackout years back.. Got the bug to start a tank again and do some corals this time .. focusing on the easier ones like shrooms and softies.. Looking to get a 75-90 gal tank was looking at the perfecto, but welcome to any suggestions on this been a few years and so much new things are out now so im lost.. thinking about a reef octopuss skimmer and t5 lights... i know nothing about these things since i only kept a fowlr tank.. So feel free to post any links to equipment i can check out.. thanks.. SteveZ..

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
You fish too? I only want a few ,some polyps i dont want to get too carried away i want to have a good amount of fish so want to keep corals that can handle the feedings.. as i get more experience ill move onto the more delicate stuff.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love fishing! Although I do most of it from shore, in the North Fork where my family has a summer place...this was the best weakfish year ever! But the fall was very disappointing....The thing about mushrooms, is that you you don't need much. I started off with a red one here, a green one there, a "blue" one there. 15 years later, you can't even see the rocks....

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have a 22 sailfish in brooklyn,blackfishing been really good but got stuck home with crappy seas and east wind on the weekends.. when i get the tank set up ill pro start with a few frags and see how it goes.I have a lot or work to do researching equipment.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Steve, here is my suggestion:

Before you buy any livestock or equipment decide what kind of fish you most like. Your fish preferences will dictate your tank size.

Do you like fish that require lots of space?
Do you like fish that group around reefs and simply need hiding places?
Do you like fish that grow beyond 4 inches?

Secondly, decide how much space in your home you can assign to your tank, without going insane in buying a 300 gallon tank, if you have the space and you like fish that grow past 4 inches then get the 90 gallon, if you can check out the 120 or 150 gallon tanks that are the same with as most 90 gallons, 4 feet wide.

If you intend on buying your tank brand new check out Maximum Reef Aquatics in Yonkers they have the absolute best prices OR you can obtain quotes and ask any vendors of your choice to give you their best pricing, sort of bidding for your business. If you have patience you can buy used here on the forum, internet, craigslist or Ebay.

As for equipment, you do not need a $900 skimmer but try to buy a decent skimmer so that you dont find yourself like some of us that end up buying skimmer after skimmer bc we just enjoy charging up our credit cards. You should not be spending more than $300 on a skimmer for a simply fish tank with a handful of fish and easy to keep corals. Check out the SC302 skimmer by SC Aquariums.

As far as lighting goes if you solely intend on keeping easy to keep photsynthetic corals you dont need more than what you said T5 HO or maybe some VHO's but you dont even need VHO, T5 is fine. You also dont need any expensive T5 fixture, you just need the right bulb spectrum and decent light unit and the corals do the rest on their own.

I forgot to mention, go with a reef ready tank and a sump, overflow boxes are a pain.

You do not need to spend big bucks on "live sand" just buy dry aragonite sand.

you do not need to spend $9 per pound on live rock, Maximum Reef Aquatics sales it on the cheap.

You do not need a calcium reactor, just get yourself on a steady maintenance schedule.

You do not need expensive vortech pumps, hydor is fine for your application.

Keep it simple, reasonable and manageble, if you find yourself still having a tank 2 or 3 years after you set it up and become bored then you can start charging up expensive skimmers, expensive pumps, digital controllers and fancy lights.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Forgot to mention...

If you do setup a tank before you buy fish and corals I suggest you visit all of the stores that interest you and then visit Maximum Reef Aquatics and compare prices then begin buying what you want.

If you need to shop online Dr. Foster and Smith has the lowest free shipping requirment that I have been able to find and cheapest price on Salt anywhere and supplies anywhere.

If you must buy fish online Live Aquaria has great prices and a hassle free 2 week guarantee on all livestock, great store, hands down the best in my opinion in the entire world.

Reefs2go.com has cheap prices on certain things, check them out or reeftopia.com.

If you need something from one day to the next try Gotham Aquatics, shipping to the tri state area is from one day to the next.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Thanks for the info. So far I think im gonna go with deep blue 75 or 90. Por gonna set up a 20 gal quar tank let it cycle as i start to collect what i want. Gonna start the main tank after christmas or so.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Well heres what I got so far,Trigger systems 36 ruby sump,sro 3000 sss.The tank im going to get is the deep blue 90 with corner overflow,but im open to other options just havent found anything,if someone can post other manufactures of tanks i can check out that be great.The skimmer and sump should be here next week.I cant get the tank yet till i clean out a space.I am going to be getting good quality equipment the more i look and read the more I want these nice corals so i want to buy the right things once.I was looking at the apex controller I hear you can turn stuff off with a cell or pc away from home sounds like a good idea if a ato float switch sticks or something. Chillers in the summer a tank in my house can break 80 in my old fish tank i put those freeze things you put in your lunch bag in the overflow and sump. which helped but was a big pita.Do I really need a chiller rated for the tank or will a smaller one keep the temp 78? I want a mh t5 combo what are some of the better fixtures? I really like the vortex pumps but man do they cost are they anything similar with the same features that arent 450 a pop. And also the rodi unit I am guessing the ones with more stages are better? any advise on what brands to look for?Thanks everyone for helping out with the questions,I hope to get the tank early in the new year and atleast have it wet and cycling,Ill just ad a fish or two I dont expect to add any coral till the fall at least so I can have everything I need.

shark32

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
check out the Filter Guys for a RO/DI unit. They have a decent selction and are very helpful with any questions you might have. I have the Ocean Wave Five stage 75 GPD one. Had it for almost 3 years and works well. Good luck with your tank!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: