Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Hi Everyone!

As some of you know i am starting a new 90g tank build and i was wondering what most ppl recommend between the two rocks.
all my other tanks have started with live rock but they were also a lot smaller and some LR for a 90g will deff cost a nice amount. so besides cost and cycle time what are other good points,real effective pros and cons?

Thanks!

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Dry rock:
No hitchhikers
Longer cycle
You can really take your tome when aquascaping and building custom structures.
Cheaper

Live rock:
More "life" on rocks...but that allows for hitchhikers (you will def get many hitchhikers and some may be bad)
More money
Must be kept alive (which is a pain if you plan to take your time)

Anyone else have more?

bud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The dry rock will take a lot longer to be pretty, Coralline alge for some reason does not like dry rock. It takes a lot longer to be cover in pink.

Archreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 72.7%
8   3   0
IMO I would stay away from Marco Rocks. I had a mix of Marco and Reef Rock in the same tank. I fought GHA on the Marco with none on the Reef Rocks. Marco is know to leach Phosphate for a lone time. Save the headache go with Reef Rocks.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
IMO I would stay away from Marco Rocks. I had a mix of Marco and Reef Rock in the same tank. I fought GHA on the Marco with none on the Reef Rocks. Marco is know to leach Phosphate for a lone time. Save the headache go with Reef Rocks.

There shouldn't be a difference. I have spoken with the owner of reef rocks. I remember him saying that he supplies Marco with rock, as well as some others. Either way, reefrocks is cheaper. And there is a sponsor here ultra corals that sells them as well. They are a hike though.
As to the comment about corraline taking time to cover, I cannot disagree more. My 90 was set up with about 120lb of dry and a couple of small pieces of live from my other tank. That was in August. I'd estimate today that it is 75% covered in corraline.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: