al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
just set up my 80 gal and my RO. i've noticed the evaporation rate is a lot higher than my old solana tank. i am using a 5 gal bucket with a tunze osmolator and the bucket is almost empty within 2-3 days. i understand its a bigger tank areas as its 48x24 and the sump is 39x15. is this normal?

Thanks!

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
yes, it is ridiculous. I pretty much lose at least 1-2 g per day. It's a little bit less when I keep the light off on hte sump but since i've boosted my macro growth down there, I have lights on in the DT for 6-8hrs (2x250 w MH), then lights on in the fuge the rest of the time (I am for 16 hrs).

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
It sounds normal to me, although I lose more in the summer with the AC on I noticed. I had Custom King build me an acrylic reservoir for my ato that holds 16 gallons and fis perfect under my stand. I will post pics of it in my build thread coming soon.

bud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That's one of the reason why I got rid of my 120. I was so sick of making water and wetting my floor my wood floor. 2 gallon of water per day with a big skimmer and a big pump. It was a job :) Now I have a nano 2 gallon per week.

frankieboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Walmart buy a rubbermaid container size fits in stand 13 or 20 gallon to use for top off. I'm new to hobby and my planning is slow, what makes me nervous is how to setup tank and size to get. Main thing water evaporation and good luck on what you decide.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey kris if its not food grade the plastics can leach bad stuff into your tank

+1.
I was going to mention the same thing. I just got the Tunze ATO and I brought a 5 gallon BPA free drinking water container online. I set it up on my 90 gallon/proflex model 3 sump on the night of the 5th and as of this morning, I have about 1 1/2 gallons left in my container. I have a thought. Do you have some kind of lid on your top off bucket? You could be losing T.O water through evaporation. Just a thought.

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
thanks for the replies. yeah i do have a lid loosely covering my 5 gal bucket. I'm going to have to look into a taller bpa free container

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: