AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I just cut and dry fitted my first drain line. Please take a look and tell me if it looks ok. Is the union valve placement ok? I placed it there for when I need to remove the sump for maintenance.

Check out the street 90 at the end going into the filter sock. What should I add, if anything, to the end? Few inches more pipe? Would it make a loud splash noise as is?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• MySump1.jpg
    MySump1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 147

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I would switch that initial 90 to a 45 for a smoother slope.

What size is the pump/tank? Looks like it might be too powerful for the tank possibly

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would switch that initial 90 to a 45 for a smoother slope.

What size is the pump/tank? Looks like it might be too powerful for the tank possibly

Thanks for the reply Brando. If you're talking about the first fitting off the overflow box then that's a sweep 90. From what I've read, its supposed to be a better option over a regular 90 or a 45??? What do you think?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
You really need to support that pipe. Maybe you have not gotten to it yet, seems that it is just initial setup. But def need to hang the pipe. I would also add a piece to the elbow so that it sits IN the sock and actually under the water level of the sump so that there is not splashing.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You really need to support that pipe. Maybe you have not gotten to it yet, seems that it is just initial setup. But def need to hang the pipe. I would also add a piece to the elbow so that it sits IN the sock and actually under the water level of the sump so that there is not splashing.

Thanks for the tip thirty! This is just my first cut but I will definitely look into the support for the pipe. What exactly am I looking for? Just asking so I dont spend another hour wandering around Lowes like a lost kid!

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Thanks for the tip thirty! This is just my first cut but I will definitely look into the support for the pipe. What exactly am I looking for? Just asking so I dont spend another hour wandering around Lowes like a lost kid!

I am actually looking again at it. I am a little concerned that the pipe that is coming from the overflow is not straight? Is that glued in??? if you are using a 90 elbow on the bottom then that pipe should be parallel to the top of the sump. I would actually cut the piece that is coming from the overflow much much shorter and have the pipe up closer to the bottom of the tank.

You will be happy when the time comes and you want to get into the sump and not have to deal with the pipes across the top of the sump.

But to fasten it, you can get plastic strapping at home depot and just put it around the pipe and fasten with a screw to one of the cross braces of the top of the stand.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I am actually looking again at it. I am a little concerned that the pipe that is coming from the overflow is not straight? Is that glued in??? if you are using a 90 elbow on the bottom then that pipe should be parallel to the top of the sump. I would actually cut the piece that is coming from the overflow much much shorter and have the pipe up closer to the bottom of the tank.

You will be happy when the time comes and you want to get into the sump and not have to deal with the pipes across the top of the sump.

But to fasten it, you can get plastic strapping at home depot and just put it around the pipe and fasten with a screw to one of the cross braces of the top of the stand.

Thanks again man. Yeah its not straight because I have not screwed in the bulkhead or glued anything yet. I just wanted to try a dry fit and get some feedback before making anything permanent. Thats a great tip about making the pipe higher. Thanks very much!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I would definitely replace that 90 with 2 45s.
The turbulence of the water hitting that 90 will create back pressure which will slow the drain and it will make a lot more noise.
I would actually put a slip to thread on the bulkhead then a step-up to the next diameter pipe and use a ball union then two 45 degree fittings.
I would do this on both drains. Securing them to the stand with PVC pipe clamps that screw into the stand.

It will be a lot quieter and bullet proof.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: