NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ok guys new to fish and coral world it all started when i walked into a friends house one day i never new he had a huge tank in the basement I couldn't stop looking at it awesome he had a lot of fish and tons of coral,the water was crystal clear right then i caught the bug so I decided to start a tank of my own but I never had fish before so i joined the site and did a lot of reserch i read all the threads they been great and very helpfull I will take my time with this. I'm starting small I found out very quick that this a expensive hobby but worth it ,also So I can see the growing pains of this hobby so far this what I have any advice would be great I went out and bought a 40 gallon breeder and plan on drilling it for 2 overflows one for back up in case one gets clogged and one return in which I will split for better flow throughout the tank I built a sump from a 20 long with 3 sections one for my skimmer/return/refugium glued in all the sections with thick acrilic came out great and return pump all sitting on a metal stand. so more on equipment I bought all my plumbing on line and from home depot it all comes apart very easily for disassembly or cleaning a friend gave me his coralife fluorescent light it has 4 bulbs 48 inches Long white/blue looks great I also bought led 36 inch marineland led light I hope it's enough light for coral groth? Do I need a skimmer to start cycling the tank? Or can I just get my live sand rock and water to start my tank cycle I'm sure I'm missing a lot of equipment sugestions are welcome thanks.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
U dont need the skimmer to cycle. Your gonna need a few things

Powerheads (water movement)
Test kits ( ammonia , nitrite, nitrate, alk, cal, mag, phosphates)
You should be ok with those lights
Heater
Salt
2 phosban reactors and 2 small pumps one for carbon and phosban (eventually)
Dosing solutions (when you start to get corals)

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Merry Christmas and thanks for the advice tony I do have 2 powerheads I believe they are acuaclear 70 and a 50 I think they are good to start eventually I will get better ones.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would have gone with a reef ready motor a 40 breeder 2 overflows is way overkill. If one of them clogs having another as back up isnt going to help you. In my honest opinion it gives you twice the chance for something to go wrong.

Best of luck with it.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I would also upgrade that lighting to something like a tek t5 fixture an ati sunpower 4 or 6 bulb. Def. a well needed upgrade for a reef tank

Your gonna need better powerheads if your planning a reef.

Merry xmas to u a well

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys I also thought it was overkill for 2 returns I haven't drilled the tank yet so I was looking for sugestions I think I will go with my orig plan one drain and one return with 2 outlets and see how that works out.

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Yes I planning on using live sand and rock to start the tank cycle I have a lot questions on water where do I get it do need RODI system right away to start or what water will I use to start my tank without RODI system

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys I also thought it was overkill for 2 returns I haven't drilled the tank yet so I was looking for sugestions I think I will go with my orig plan one drain and one return with 2 outlets and see how that works out.

That would work great for you. Choose an overflow and return pump that are rated close to the same number of gallons per hour of each other- the return pump being the higher rated and split your return with a Y loclline and you'll be good to go.

Remember this hobby has rules just like the old Iowa or other multiple choice tests in school. You're original answer is usually the right one or the one that's closest to right. When you re/over think things you tend to stray away from the correct answer.

Have fun with the setup and welcome to the money pit hobby other wise known as the saltwater aquarium lol

Last edited:

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks again to everyone I will post picks as I put it together and listen to any recommendations HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND HEALTHY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
You should buy an rodi from saltwatercritters.com or bulkreefsupply.com. 4 stage should be more then enough. Make sure you get a pressure sensor, dual inline tds meter, handheld tds meter and flush kit with it. Also make sure u have a place to put it like under a sink, in the laundry room or basement. Somewhere you have a water source and a drain...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: