findingnemo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48 gallon tank (will like to set up as reef) which filter is recomended fot this kind of tank? I have a power head and a thermometer anything else I should buy?

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
By the sound of it there are a lot of things you are missing. I recommend you take some time and go back through the old messages in this forum. I also recommend you pick up a decent book or two.

This can be a fun hobby if you do it right, or you can get very frustrated and waste tons of money when things keep dying if you do it wrong.

-Alfred

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Some equipment to start looking for are the following.

I thnk you said you had a powerhead in your other thread. Make yourself a sump or buy one from someone that's up to you. You can also use a cannister filter as I do but you need to clean it every 1 to 2 weeks and change the media at least every 2 weeks.

Do you have a heater? Didn't see that notes.

You live in florida so a chiller may also be required.

Lastly one of the most important parts to a reef tank is the Protien Skimmer. Trust most of us when we tell you to stay away from these 2 skimmers The Seaclone and The Prism Protien skimmers. Seaclone is junk for the most part on a tank your size, and the Prizs is a Pain in the neck. The remora is a great hang on back Skimmer and there are ton of in sump skimmers as well that are skimming animals :).

Good luck and Don't buy anymore equipment until you check with people about wether you need them or not. Make a decision on what corals you want to keep and the type of fish as well, let your tank finish it's cycle and then go from there, no livestock should be indroduced into the tank until that cycle is complete unless they hitchhike in on the live rock. The Damsels should get taken out and brought back it is unfair to put them through the stress and strain of a cycle. It's like throwing you into the desert in your underwear with no sunscreen and telling you to walk to civilization.

Good luck and welcome again.

findingnemo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot guys, I am getting a little frustrated , I wanted to get in the hobby later and read more but my dad bought me the tank with a single light , the filter and the power head and got it running without research, he dosent know anything about reef tanks he used to have a freshwater tank years ago so he didnt know how complicated and costly a saltwater one would be, and on top of things I got coral to early so that made me have to run and get special lighting, and vitamins they need.
Thanks again

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Thanks a lot guys, I am getting a little frustrated , I wanted to get in the hobby later and read more but my dad bought me the tank with a single light , the filter and the power head and got it running without research, he dosent know anything about reef tanks he used to have a freshwater tank years ago so he didnt know how complicated and costly a saltwater one would be, and on top of things I got coral to early so that made me have to run and get special lighting, and vitamins they need.
Thanks again

What lighting did you get? Those coral you got as live rock are all dead so you don't have to worry about "special lighting" for them.

Definately get some more flow into the tank if you're going to make it into a reef tank. Go with a sump if you can, it'll make the tank look cleaner and give you a place to hide all your equipment; plus you'd have added water volume.

findingnemo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Current Orbit 36" Lamp 96w on the box it says it has, ultra quiet fan cooling, independent lamp controls, sleek powder coated, lunnar light,ultimate dawn to dusk effect, Sun paq dual Daylight (10,000 k and 6,700 k) and our Dual Actinic (460nm and 420 nm)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: