Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I searched around and was unable to get an answer to the following.

Does the color rating have an active role in the growth and health of corals or is it just how it looks to us? My tank will be a 40 breeder and the contents will be mostly softies, primarily Zoas and Rics, possibly a few LPS corals and if I get brave I would like to have a Monti Cap. I will be going with a 250 DE bulb setup I also can supplement it with 2 96w PC's one is 10k and one is actinic, would I be better with 2 actinics?. So do I want a 10, 14 or 20k bulb?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
10 K will give you the best out of the 3 you listed ,14k and 20k are more in th blue tint ,,note all brands will fire up diff ,,and diff ballast will fire it up dif as well

If you wnt the growth ,go for the 10k if you are looking for blue color go with 20k

hope that helps

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Dave,

Take a look at the tank thread I just put up or the one Jhale just put up in the Photography forum,

I have great growth and use the Pheonix 14k bulb with Blue Wave III hqi ballasts - and did I mention I HAVE NO ACTINIC SUPPLEMENTATION?

I swear by this bulb ballast combo and recommend it for any tank - with a zoo tank and possible a few stonies (SPS) you should be fine with the 14k.

House

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
6.5K = maximum growth (yellow color - need actinics)
10K = great growth (whiteish color - need actinics)
14k = good growth, nice blue color ( no need actinic supplementation)
20k = blue, slower growth (no need actinic supplementation)

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a HQI 20k by AB bulbs and I love the crystal white/blueish tint coloration...as far as growth I couldnt say bc this is my first MH setup and only had it a month or so.....Ive also heard good things about 14-15ks which maybe my next bulb, looking into the phoenix brand...

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
A 14k with one actinic PC an one white will look very nice. If you decide to go with 10k use 2 actinics. Since you have a small tank I would actually consider the AB 20k. The color of this bulb is awesome.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i have used:

SE 20k xm w/ advance ballast-too blue
SE 15k sm w/ pfo ballast-not as blue but still blue
DE 10k ?? w/ pfo ballast- yellow
and currently using DE 14k phoenix w/ pfo ballast-nice crips white w/ slight hint of blue
as recommended by house(thanks). my favorite so far.

as mentioned before, the ballast is very important. which one will you be using?

Last edited:

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got everything together last night and temporarily setup the light up to see how it looked using a borrowed 10k bulb. Even with my 96w actinic PC as a supplement, it was WAY to yellow. To get the closest look to my current PC combo of one 96w 10k and one 96w actinic, do i want a 14k or a 20k bulb?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: