oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have a hood on my tank.

The hood I have though is a modified lizard cage.

I bought it, for three reasons.

The first was that I read that having small holes throughout a hood allows two things that are beneficial for a saltwater aquarium when you are holding live tropical fish.

Heat dissipation. In other words from what I read, the holes allow heat from the warm water to escape and thus not become trapped and build up carbon dioxide over time?

Second reason I bought this hood. Again according to what I read the holes allow a better transfer of oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange.

Third reason: The holes are small enough and provide a grid layout to help seriously prevent the fish from getting out of the aquarium if it ever decides to jump.

With this said, I noticed a strange thing today. The part of the hood that is located just above the area where my canister filter is located, (which is constantly regurgitating and helping aerate the water) seems rusted?

After only two months? Just this spot by the way too? Instead of emanating the natural black color it has, it looks very brown, again like rusted steel?

I'm wondering how this might have happened, and I'm also wondering if this is potentially dangerous to my fish, and other invertebrates in the tank, if flecks from this area come off and enter the water below?

Thanks for all suggestions and possible solutions.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i would think that water is hitting the lizard type cover and rusting out,

buy a screen kit from home depot and do the exact same thing and don't worry about rusting takes 20 minutes maybe 30 minutes to do

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i would think that water is hitting the lizard type cover and rusting out,

buy a screen kit from home depot and do the exact same thing and don't worry about rusting takes 20 minutes maybe 30 minutes to do

+1 but i would buy the screen from brs, better quality.
if your using a reptile metal screen, get rid of it. it will continue to rust, and flake off.

ReefDiver

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The lizard cage would have been hot and dry, probably with a heat lamp. The screen wasn't built for a marine environment. You can probably keep it for a while if the rust doesn't drop into the tank and doesn't bother you from a cosmetic point of view.

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
He is using a freshwater hood that comes with a flouresent freshwater fixture and bulb. I recommend getting a different top and light. Stop focusing on the tiny details of O2 and CO2 exchange.

And again, do you need help with punctuation?.!

Last edited:

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture since I couldn't upload a small video

Here is a picture, since I had issues uploading a small video

Attachments

• 20141207_235840_resized.jpg
    20141207_235840_resized.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: