oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

Well this saturday marks 11 weeks since I started my 20 L gallon tank.

I have at last count 11 invertebrates still alive. 3 hermit crabs; (that seem a bit bigger now) 3 nassarus snail; 2 turbo snails; 2 marigita snails; and 1 bumblebee.

I also have 1 red maroon juvenile clownfish.

Ok so I bought most of these invertebrates, (all except the 3 nassarus snails, bought them at Fauna), at manhattan aquariums, I also bought my fish at MA.
I trust both stores to take care of the vertebrates and invertebrates they sell to people.

I also acclimated all of them using the drip method for a long time before putting any of them in my tank.

This is also a brand new tank, and before I put the fish in this tank, and now most of my snails and hermit crabs I am 99% sure all of the water was already RO/DI water.

With that said, I also just did (yesterday after two weeks instead of one) to try to cause less stress to my fish, about a 30% water change.

With all of this said, I noticed something in the last week or so, and now I notice it seems more of them?

At first I thought this was a strange piece of sand? Yet what it looks like are little octupuses?

It has a long tube center, with what looks like eight tiny little appendages it uses to prop itself up?

Most of them are on the sand, but a few are on the glass. Should I gravel vac the sand area immediately this is all I see that I haven't done?

I also have 18lbs of cured live rock (which has more algae now it seems) in this tank serving as the biological filter.

My water's temperature reads 81 degrees.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to Strange issue

Here is a picture of the thing that exists in my tank now that I am concerned about.

I see more than 1, and I'm not sure if they are multiplying. Anyway I do think they are alive and they were not in my tank at the start.

To keep in mind as of tomorrow I have only had this tank for 11 weeks.

I did notice a-lot more algae growth on the cured live rocks I bought.

I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I do have a cleaner crew for several weeks now.

Consists of 2 turbo snails, 2 marigita snails, 3 nassarus snails, 1 bumblebee, 3 hermit crabs (that have gotten bigger).

Anyway here is a picture of the thing I am concerned about.

Attachments

• 20141226_161231_resized.jpg
    20141226_161231_resized.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 134

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the white looking thing on the glass, that looks like it has eight legs? I've seen various sized ones in there for about a week maybe more now?

I did feed my fish mysis shrimp and some brime in the last few weeks though? Maybe it's the remains of it?

If anyone know's what this is and can let me know for sure I would appreciate it.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the fish I have in the tank is a juvenile? When you say baby fish though, you mean like just born?

It is living in the same tank as them though? I fed what I thought was dead brine shrimp and mysis shrimp to the fish a few times. I saw that it didn't really like them. I would say I started seeing these hydrozoan I would say a few weeks after giving the fish a few feedings of brine. However I didn't think this brine shrimp and mysis shrimp was alive?
Is there anyway to get rid of them, in case they are a concern to this fish, without bothering the fish? I noticed some are on the sand, and my fish does sleep sometimes on the sand. If you can tell me anyway I can do this safely to possibly remove them, without bothering my fish and other invertebrates in my tank I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: