oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone named George identified this mysterious critter in my tank.

I guess than I have baby transparent jellyfish in my tank now?

I do not think it came from my cured live rock, as I have had this rock for close to 3 months now, and only noticed these hydrozoan's in the last two weeks or so?

However I did feed my fish some brine and mysis shrimp, (though not live), the frozen kind that consist of squares?

Anyway to wrap this up. I manually removed one that was somewhat large in the tank, but I have several other small ones in the tank where manually removing them doesn't seem practical. Can anyone tell me of a method where I can remove them all at once or in a easier fashion then using a plastic spoon?

Thank you for any suggestions on how to remove these unwanted inhabitants in my tank right now.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a adhesive? How did you apply it? Directly into the tank? This didn't cause other issues in your tank?

I don't think it's really possible for me to apply this product to each one of these little jellyfish I see.

Are these hydrozoan asexual?

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
This is a adhesive? How did you apply it? Directly into the tank? This didn't cause other issues in your tank?

I don't think it's really possible for me to apply this product to each one of these little jellyfish I see.

Are these hydrozoan asexual?

I was referring to this product: http://premiumaquatics.com/products/fishies-aqua-stik-stone-gray-4-oz.html

I also used tweezers to pull them out. Then used the epoxy putty to smoother them if I couldn't get all of them pulled.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is this method will first take forever.

Secondly, I feel this might be a battle I can never completely win, (meaning that these type of jellyfish) will constantly asexual reproduce?

Do these things asexually copy themselves into new ones?

If I buy this epoxy putty on them, I would just place this stick directly on them? Would that harm or mark the glass they are on in any way?

Again if I slowly eliminate them or remove them out of the tank, will all of them for good be gone, or again do they keep replicating without mates?

In other words can these things be finally removed from this aquarium environment?

Ok thank you

Happy New Year too.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
My concern is this method will first take forever.

Secondly, I feel this might be a battle I can never completely win, (meaning that these type of jellyfish) will constantly asexual reproduce?

Do these things asexually copy themselves into new ones?

If I buy this epoxy putty on them, I would just place this stick directly on them? Would that harm or mark the glass they are on in any way?

Again if I slowly eliminate them or remove them out of the tank, will all of them for good be gone, or again do they keep replicating without mates?

In other words can these things be finally removed from this aquarium environment?

Ok thank you

Happy New Year too.

I didn't realize you had them growing on the glass. I believe they grow by budding, but you can double check that on the net. Why can't you use a razor scrapper to get them off? The epoxy putty will leave a stain on the glass if that is where they are growing. Seems your infestation is pretty bad and worried that they will make a comeback. I don't know if you will ever be a 100% sure unless you had to take apart the entire tank, take out all of the affected rocks, let the hydroids dryout or bleach the rocks and disinfect the entire tank and equipment. Good luck and Happy New Year to you too!

Last edited:

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh thank you for responding first off, and so promptly.

Eh I don't know how bad the infestation is?

Yes some are on the glass, but last time I counted (and I removed one in the last hour) there were a total of six. Four kinda medium to large size and 2 baby size?

I don't know if these came from the colony from whatever cured live rock I have they sprung them or again these are new ones do to a sexual reproduction.

Furthermore about two weeks ago when I first really noticed them at all, a-lot were on the sand too.

Now I would say I see a few but not as many.

I wouldn't say they are growing on the glass. Yet some yes are hanging out there.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
You have any close up pics of the hydroid's in your tank? It'll help to see where they are located and what they look like. It could be that the flow is blowing them and carry them through out the tank causing it to stick on the glass. At this point I'm wondering if they are tiny feather dusters that may look like hydroids. Either way it probably came in on some live rock.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have one. This is from a week ago or so.
Yet they all look the same, just slightly different sizes. This is one of the biggest ones.

Attachments

• 20141226_161231_resized.jpg
    20141226_161231_resized.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 82

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to manually remove some of them. However even the biggest ones seen through the glass are very tiny inside the spoon I use or inside the tweezers I use.
Meaning, manually removing the smallest ones doesn't even seem possible.
I wouldn't be so concerned if I felt removing them bit by bit I am eventually getting all of them out of the tank. However I'm pretty sure they are asexual, so I don't want them to reproduce.

I read that they are a definitive threat to baby fish. Now I do not think my fish is a baby. Yet it is not an adult yet. It is a juvenile.

I also have a few invertebrates in this tank, and I don't want them stung by these things tentacles. Lastly, thank you for responding back to me first off.

Secondly, yes I think they came off of some piece of live rock.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I was able to manually remove some of them. However even the biggest ones seen through the glass are very tiny inside the spoon I use or inside the tweezers I use.
Meaning, manually removing the smallest ones doesn't even seem possible.
I wouldn't be so concerned if I felt removing them bit by bit I am eventually getting all of them out of the tank. However I'm pretty sure they are asexual, so I don't want them to reproduce.

I read that they are a definitive threat to baby fish. Now I do not think my fish is a baby. Yet it is not an adult yet. It is a juvenile.

I also have a few invertebrates in this tank, and I don't want them stung by these things tentacles. Lastly, thank you for responding back to me first off.

Secondly, yes I think they came off of some piece of live rock.

No problem helping out a fellow reefer... I haven't seen those type of free floating hydroids before. The one's I had grew in clusters on a piece of live rock and were difficult to remove and stung anything that got close to it. Could you try using a turkey baster to manual suck them out one at a time? Wondering if a majano zapper would do the trick as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: