arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im sure there has been many threads on having a bare bottom tank vs not. But i just can't happen to find the threads. Im setting up a biocube 29 in the upcoming future and was wondering:
What are the benefits of running a bare bottom? or is it better to have sand? I only plan on having 3-4 small fish ( no wrasse) so i don't really need sand. But it makes everything look more natural. What are the pros and cons of bare bottom vs sand?
Or if you have a link to the thread please post it here so i can take a look

Thanks for the help!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Bare bottom is easier to keep nutrients down, which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on what your filtration and lighting is. In a larger tank with lots of rock, fish, and feeding, a BB system can make life easier to keep water parameters at good levels.
In a smaller tank like yours, IME, the lack of surface area for bacteria to grow leads to system instability. When I ran a nano BB my cal and alk was all over the place, and I found it extremely hard to maintain a constant nutrient level. I eventually added sand and saw an improvement.

IMO, especially if you're going to use LED, I would definitely have a little sand for stability and a little added nutrient.

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bare bottom is easier to keep nutrients down, which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on what your filtration and lighting is. In a larger tank with lots of rock, fish, and feeding, a BB system can make life easier to keep water parameters at good levels.
In a smaller tank like yours, IME, the lack of surface area for bacteria to grow leads to system instability. When I ran a nano BB my cal and alk was all over the place, and I found it extremely hard to maintain a constant nutrient level. I eventually added sand and saw an improvement.

IMO, especially if you're going to use LED, I would definitely have a little sand for stability and a little added nutrient.

Thanks, appreciate your output. Yes i plan on using LEDs over the stock lighting. Looks like ill be using sand for this tank. :division:

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Speaking only for aesthetics I still prefer having sand on my tank (only had 2 nanos). That being said I used LR from an established tank for my current and only tank, so I've had no issues so far.
I agree with Jackson's points, I've heard the same from other members as well.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Softie corals or SPS?

If softies they can handle more nutrients which could mean less maintenance.
If SPS, you will need a lower nutrient tank, and IMO BB is the easiest way to monitor the amount of nutrients that you are putting in your tank.(I.e. Feeding your fish and monitoring their poop)
It's harder to monitor what you can see that could be collecting under the sand.

That being said I like both and if you go with sand it just adds to your maintenance a little bit by you making sure your able to vacuum your sand bed to remove the detritus you can't see.

Nutrient balance is KEY how you choose to do it is up to you.
People are successful with both;)

Good luck!

Last edited:

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Softie corals or SPS?

If softies they can handle more nutrients which could mean less maintenance.
If SPS, you will need a lower nutrient tank, and IME BB is the easiest way to monitor the amount of nutrients that you are putting in your tank.(I.e. Feeding your fish and monitoring their poop)
It's harder to monitor what you can see that could be collecting under the sand.

That being said I like both and if you go with sand it just adds to your maintenance a little bit by you making sure your able to vacuum your sand bed to remove the detritus you can't see.

Nutrient balance is KEY how you choose to do it is up to you.
People are successful with both;)

Good luck!

I plan on keeping a mixed reef but mostly LPS and some piece of SPS. Depending on how everything goes in the tank. Do you think for a biocube 29 would it be better to have sand since it has less water volume compared to a bigger tank so that parameters won't be out of wack constantly unlike running a bare bottom or not at all?

jaywee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I had BB and although it was easy to maintain, it was an eyesore to see detritus collect on the bottom and having to syphon everyday. I ended up with a 1" sand bed. Still easy to maintain and looks nice, white and clean. With a shallow 1 " sand bed its ok to stir it up a bit and siphon once a week when I do water change.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have had both and to me sand looks better than no sand. Just use enuf to cover the bottom . I have about 1" on my bottom and when I do a water change I just use a vacuum attachment and clean the sand. My present tank has been up for over 5 yrs like that and I never have a problem with nutrients.

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have had both and to me sand looks better than no sand. Just use enuf to cover the bottom . I have about 1" on my bottom and when I do a water change I just use a vacuum attachment and clean the sand. My present tank has been up for over 5 yrs like that and I never have a problem with nutrients.

Yeah i was planning if anything on keeping a very shallow sanded. I ended up buying sand for the biocube so ill keep it shallow. Thanks for the input

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any convincing data that links bare bottom tanks to a higher success rate in reef keeping. Substrate can provide a lot of surface area for the systems biological filter. If you are not a neat freak, go with a substrate.

Last edited:

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have not seen any convincing data that links bare bottom tanks to a higher success rate in reef keeping. Substrate can provide a lot of surface area for the systems biological filter. If you are not a neat freak, go with a substrate.

Yeah i had ordered sand for the new tank. It just looks more natural as well

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: