JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a reef tank for 1 1/2 years now. I have never used RO water. I use my tap water (with dechlorinator, im not that stupid). Recently my tank had a leak and in the process of moving everything to a new tank i used a lot of the dechlorinator and a month later my protien skimmer still hates me. every time i do a water change i just put more of that stuff in. My budget is small so is there another way instead of ro? I was thinking if mabie getting a AquaticLife RO Buddie 3-Stage Reverse Osmosis System - 50 GPD. Any comments?

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Which water conditioner do you use? Seachems prime is $11 and treats 5000 gallons of water. This is also good to reduce the toxicity of the ammonia in water if you ever need it. If you want to save money you can leave your water out for a day and the chlorine will dissipate on it's own. No water treatment necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00025694O/?tag=reefs04-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a reef tank for 1 1/2 years now. I have never used RO water. I use my tap water (with dechlorinator, im not that stupid). Recently my tank had a leak and in the process of moving everything to a new tank i used a lot of the dechlorinator and a month later my protien skimmer still hates me. every time i do a water change i just put more of that stuff in. My budget is small so is there another way instead of ro? I was thinking if mabie getting a AquaticLife RO Buddie 3-Stage Reverse Osmosis System - 50 GPD. Any comments?

RO is definitely better than tap water. I use the 100 GPD for my fish only 40 gallon salt water aquarium. I collect 5 gallons in an hour, reducing the TDS reading (forgot the units) from 130-ish to 2-4. I am pretty sure you can add a DI cartridge to the system. Nothing says you can't start with the RO unit and add the DI unit later.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: